Help

• Thread starter Thread starter DM030619
  • Start date Start date
D

DM030619

Recently I received my two guinea pig girls.

The problem is that they are always hiding and do not want to eat or drink.
I can't see any difference on the bowl or water bottle.

Another problem is that they got taken out of the cage the first day and petted.
That might have made them scared?

Can someone please help as I want them to have a nice time with me.

Thanks

Update: They seem to eat and drink but just a little i think its because that they are a bit scared.

Recently I received my two guinea pig girls.

The problem is that they are always hiding and do not want to eat or drink.
I can't see any difference on the bowl or water bottle.

Another problem is that they got taken out of the cage the first day and petted.
That might have made them scared?

Can someone please help as I want them to have a nice time with me.

Thanks
Hello Viktor
As piggies are known as prey animals they will tend to hide from you at first!
It's fine to leave them to settle for a few days as long as they have plenty hay around them to eat and to hide in. Leave some washed lettuce ( not iceberg) or cucumber as these will have plenty of water content. Leave this as close to where they are hiding to tempt them to eat. If they have these wet types of veg it doesn't matter as much of they are not seen drinking water. It's good too to cover the side of the cage where they are hiding to allow them some feeling of security. Just check later to see if they have eaten some hay or veg.
It's quite normal for them to be worried about humans at first so when you are approaching their cage to put in veg egg just speak quietly to let them know you are there.

Hello Viktor
As piggies are known as prey animals they will tend to hide from you at first!
It's fine to leave them to settle for a few days as long as they have plenty hay around them to eat and to hide in. Leave some washed lettuce ( not iceberg) or cucumber as these will have plenty of water content. Leave this as close to where they are hiding to tempt them to eat. If they have these wet types of veg it doesn't matter as much of they are not seen drinking water. It's good too to cover the side of the cage where they are hiding to allow them some feeling of security. Just check later to see if they have eaten some hay or veg.
It's quite normal for them to be worried about humans at first so when you are approaching their cage to put in veg egg just speak quietly to let them know you are there.
So i am not doing anything wrong?

So i am not doing anything wrong?
No. Just remember to check veg is being eaten and to approach quietly until they get to know the sound and smell of you!
Read the new g pig owners guides on here for help and reassurance. X

I always think that it helps to think of it from their point of view. If someone took you from your house and plonked you in a new one, and a big giant, who wasn't even human came and tried to stroke you.....well...you'd hide away for a few days too until you got to know that the big giant was bringing you food and being nice to you. It would take a wee while, but eventually you'd trust them and maybe even, after a wee while, you might take food from their hand. As time goes on, you might - and only might - be happy to be patted and lifted up and cuddled by them....but it would all take some time, so your guinea pigs are just being perfectly normal. If they've had bad experiences before, it will take a wee bit longer to trust. :tu: I hope this doesn't sound too silly, but I always try to put myself in their shoes. Some piggies will always be a bit skittish. The other thing to remember is that their natural predators are birds, so they like to hide under things to be safe, and if you put your hand in, it's best to be on their level rather than coming from above.

Hello! The first day I got my piggies they hid and wouldn't let me get near them, now they squeal at me to hold and snuggle them. I would suggest being by the cage often and talking to them softly so they get used to your voice. Give them treats. And maybe wait a bit to pick them up, because the car ride, whole new cage, etc. was a big change and they will need to warm up to you. When you feel that they are trusting you more, you could try picking them up. Make sure you make them feel secure while taking them out of the cage. If they start to squirm put them back. You picking them up should be on their terms. Also if your piggies run and hide in huts, respect them and don't try to lift their huts up as that feels to them as you are scary and feels like they aren't safe. I hope this helps a bit. Eventually, these lil Cavies will be your best friend and trust you enough to sleep on your lap with their eyes closed while cooing. You just got to give it some time. Good luck with those pigs! :luv:

It can take a lot of time and patience for piggies to come round. Just persevere and they will come round

Back