Help With Long Haired Guinea Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debbie's

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I have taken on 2 long haired guinea pigs usual children have got boarded with them, the are both really sweet,they had a good sized cage but no hay, but they both have mats I have managed to get some out but as I am on my own I am unable to get them all out,would a vist to the vets be my best bet for help.

Thanks

I would recommend a pair of scissors to chop out the matts. My long haired girl came with mats and I trimmed them off using scissors and then gave her a bath. Don't worry the hair will grow back and look lovely again. I would recommend brushing as often as you can after that at least once a week.

Yes that might be a good plan just for the first really good sort out - you should be able to book to see the vet nurses rather than the vet and they will be able to hold while you cut out the mats or vice versa. Then you can start from a good base to get the coat healthy and untangled - the bit around the back legs is quite tricky to do properly on your own - or at least I find that. My long haired boy is really good at sitting still but the between the legs bit is hard to get right and that is often where the worst mats could be if they have been neglected.

Well done for taking them on - photos needed please.....

Thanks I will give the vets a call to see if the nurse can give me a hand, they are both such sweet girls I just need another pair of hand to help with the mats underneath I will try and get photos in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back