Help with cleaning pigs bedding

Aripined

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I moved a day ago to a apartment and I wanted to see if anyone had tips to keep the Landry rooms washer and dryer stink free since I have to share with everyone in the complex. I do use vinegar in there bedding but is there anything else I can use or put in to try and keep it less stinky.

Hi everyone, I moved a day ago to a apartment and I wanted to see if anyone had tips to keep the Landry rooms washer and dryer stink free since I have to share with everyone in the complex. I do use vinegar in there bedding but is there anything else I can use or put in to try and keep it less stinky.
Do you have a pet wash bag? You put your washing in it and it holds all the hay and fur in the bag. Also, putting it on a hot wash.

Do you have a pet wash bag? You put your washing in it and it holds all the hay and fur in the bag. Also, putting it on a hot wash.
No I do not I’ll order one to try out would i need to like two washes or one would work okay

No I do not I’ll order one to try out would i need to like two washes or one would work okay
One wash should be fine if you haven't overloaded it. But it does need to be hot with some detergent and vinegar. I wash on a 60C not sure what washing settings you have where you live. It shouldn't smell when you take it out the machine.

One wash should be fine if you haven't overloaded it. But it does need to be hot with some detergent and vinegar. I wash on a 60C not sure what washing settings you have where you live. It shouldn't smell when you take it out the machine.
Okay I see I’ll give that a shot and one more question do u know how to keep the fleece dry I moved from az to California and it’s like wet humid here and there fleece is damper than it should be is there a way I can make it less damp I just washed their fleece two days ago and i spot clean and do a big clean every week.

Okay I see I’ll give that a shot and one more question do u know how to keep the fleece dry I moved from az to California and it’s like wet humid here and there fleece is damper than it should be is there a way I can make it less damp I just washed their fleece two days ago and i spot clean and do a big clean every week.
Is it damp in their cage or while you are storing it?

Do you mean it is damp when in the cage?
If you are living in a humid environment and fleece is wicking moisture from the air and/or not drying once they have peed, and remaining damp, it might be that fleece is not going to work as bedding for you now. Perhaps somebody from the same area has some suggestions on how they combat it - perhaps a dehumidifier.

Slightly different but we in the UK can’t use fleece bedding for piggies kept outside due to damp conditions meaning the fleece doesn’t dry and can remain damp.

Damp in their cage once they pee I only have one fleece at the moment I am looking to buy another
I find if I don't move hay off the patch they've weed on it doesn't dry. My room has about 70%-80% humidity. I have a section with hay they bury in which isn't fleece bedding where I can remove the wet bits. They don't wee much on the fleece in comparison. A dehumidifier may help if your house humidity is high .I think I need to get one.

Do you mean it is damp when in the cage?
If you are living in a humid environment and fleece is wicking moisture from the air and/or not drying once they have peed, and remaining damp, it might be that fleece is not going to work as bedding for you now. Perhaps somebody from the same area has some suggestions on how they combat it - perhaps a dehumidifier.

Slightly different but we in the UK can’t use fleece bedding for piggies kept outside due to damp conditions meaning the fleece doesn’t dry and can remain damp.
Yes it also is stinking up my room because of how damp it has gotten I’m nose blind from animal smell like that but my family complains about it smelling I’m not sure who I can ask that lives in California but I’ll buy a dehumidifier to see if it can help with the dampness

I find if I don't move hay off the patch they've weed on it doesn't dry. My room has about 70%-80% humidity. I have a section with hay they bury in which isn't fleece bedding where I can remove the wet bits. They don't wee much on the fleece in comparison. A dehumidifier may help if your house humidity is high .I think I need to get one.
Okay thank you very much I will purchase a dehumidifier and see if it can work well they have there hay in a bag since I try to keep their cage mess free and have room to roam around for them

Yes it also is stinking up my room because of how damp it has gotten I’m nose blind from animal smell like that but my family complains about it smelling I’m not sure who I can ask that lives in California but I’ll buy a dehumidifier to see if it can help with the dampness

There might be someone on the forum who sees your post and lives in California also.
I would suggest that if it smelling that bad and not drying, then other than trying a dehumidifier, it might be worth looking at other bedding (a disposable bedding topped with hay) while you see how you might be able to resolve the issue.

Okay thank you very much I will purchase a dehumidifier and see if it can work well they have there hay in a bag since I try to keep their cage mess free and have room to roam around for them
You possibly need to wash it more than once a week. Another thought is do any of your pigs have a UTI if it smells much more than normal. Personally I wouldn't keep hay in a bag. Best thing for piggies is big piles of hay they can dive into. It's good for their health and also enjoyment. You can keep a big pile on one side so they can still roam around other bits. Mine love making tunnels in their hay.

You possibly need to wash it more than once a week. Another thought is do any of your pigs have a UTI if it smells much more than normal. Personally I wouldn't keep hay in a bag. Best thing for piggies is big piles of hay they can dive into. It's good for their health and also enjoyment. You can keep a big pile on one side so they can still roam around other bits. Mine love making tunnels in their hay.
Okay I don’t think my pigs have a uti they don’t seem to be in any discomfort when I check on them but Is there any signs I should look out for and I’ll try out the pile of hay for them they used to have a small pile before I got them a bag but my mom thought I was wasting hay so I had to stop but I’ll try it again

There might be someone on the forum who sees your post and lives in California also.
I would suggest that if it smelling that bad and not drying, then other than trying a dehumidifier, it might be worth looking at other bedding (a disposable bedding topped with hay) while you see how you might be able to resolve the issue.
Okay I think I’ll make a post for to see if I can find anyone in California to get some help. Would puppy pads work if I decide to switch my bedding?

Okay I don’t think my pigs have a uti they don’t seem to be in any discomfort when I check on them but Is there any signs I should look out for and I’ll try out the pile of hay for them they used to have a small pile before I got them a bag but my mom thought I was wasting hay so I had to stop but I’ll try it again

Hay in a big pile is the best thing for them. Hay is never wasted, you will throw it away but when they’ve had access to a big pile that they have played in, run through, snuggled into and most importantly been able to forage freely through then that has provided them with a great source of enrichment. Hay is so much more than just food for them!

You won’t be able to use just puppy pads because they will probably try to eat them. The puppy pads would need to be covered with something so they cannot get access to them. Typically if you use puppy pads, you’d lay a fleece over them so it wicks through the fleece onto the pads. A
A disposable bedding would be something like shavings, aubiose, paper bedding topped with hay.
It was just a suggestion, you may be able to find out what is going wrong with the fleece without having to use a disposable bedding. I was just thinking that you don’t want the piggies exposed to damp bedding.

Hay in a big pile is the best thing for them. Hay is never wasted, you will throw it away but when they’ve had access to a big pile that they have played in, run through, snuggled into and most importantly been able to forage freely through then that has provided them with a great source of enrichment. Hay is so much more than just food for them!

You won’t be able to use just puppy pads because they will probably try to eat them. The puppy pads would need to be covered with something so they cannot get access to them. Typically if you use puppy pads, you’d lay a fleece over them so it wicks through the fleece onto the pads. A
A disposable bedding would be something like shavings, aubiose, paper bedding topped with hay.
It was just a suggestion, you may be able to find out what is going wrong with the fleece without having to use a disposable bedding. I was just thinking that you don’t want the piggies exposed to damp bedding.
Ahh okay i see I’ll try to see what wrong first before I make any big changes in their cages but I will definitely put a pile of hay for them so they can do those things I want them to be happy.

You can use puppy pads and a towel under the fleece which should help with absorbing the urine. Helps with odor also.

I also use a pet laundry bag, they have them on Amazon - works WONDERS!

Back