Help with Bonding Two Female Guinea Pigs

kps

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

We adopted Thelma and Louise when they were babies. Unfortunately, after about 3 years. Louise passed away. We didn't want Thelma to be alone, so we adopted a 2-year-old guinea pig named Fluffy. At the adoption agency, they seemed to get along just fine. We put them in a large enough cage for three guinea pigs and waited to see them sort things out. I don't know a lot about this so perhaps I went about it the wrong way? I left them in the cage together and at first things seemed okay. But then I noticed Thelma was squeaking a lot and running from Fluffy. Thelma stopped eating and was stressed. I waited a bit more hoping things would sort out, but they didn't. I ended up putting them in separate cages. I let them out together separated by a wire wall so they can smell each other and interact a bit. But I would love for them to be in the same cage. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can go about doing this? Fluffy gets quite pushy when she's with Thelma and Thelma starts to cry out so I don't know how much to let it go and let them sort it out themselves?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum

If they didn’t get on before, then I’m afraid they don’t tend to change their minds, so will not be compatible now.
If Thelma stopped eating because Fluffy was bullying her then it is important that you do not try to put them together again as you will most likely end up in the same situation.

It is important you interpret their previous behaviour correctly so I have added various guides in below so you can gauge what was actually going on. For example, ‘crying out’ might just have been submission squealing which on its own isn’t anything to be worried about, but if it was because she was being bullied and Fluffy was not relenting, then that is a failed bonding.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Hi and welcome

:agr:

Please take the time to read the links so you can understand the difference between normal dominance and bullying/bonding fail. Submission screaming is often misunderstood by inexperienced owners.

Always make sure that you only have got furniture with two exits in the cage during the two weeks post-intro group and territory establishment phase so the underpiggy is not cornered.

Unfortunately, without direct access to your piggies we cannot tell you what has happened but we can give you the necessary information links to work out for yourself whether the behaviour has been within acceptable limits or not. our links are as practical and precise as we can make them to give you the necessary instrumentarium.

Welcome to the forum

If they didn’t get on before, then I’m afraid they don’t tend to change their minds, so will not be compatible now.
If Thelma stopped eating because Fluffy was bullying her then it is important that you do not try to put them together again as you will most likely end up in the same situation.

It is important you interpret their previous behaviour correctly so I have added various guides in below so you can gauge what was actually going on. For example, ‘crying out’ might just have been submission squealing which on its own isn’t anything to be worried about, but if it was because she was being bullied and Fluffy was not relenting, then that is a failed bonding.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thank you so much for this information, it is quite helpful. I am new to this and may have misinterpreted their behavior. I will read through the articles you shared and then will reach out to my local community to see if there is someone more experienced with this.

Hi and welcome

:agr:

Please take the time to read the links so you can understand the difference between normal dominance and bullying/bonding fail. Submission screaming is often misunderstood by inexperienced owners.

Always make sure that you only have got furniture with two exits in the cage during the two weeks post-intro group and territory establishment phase so the underpiggy is not cornered.

Unfortunately, without direct access to your piggies we cannot tell you what has happened but we can give you the necessary information links to work out for yourself whether the behaviour has been within acceptable limits or not. our links are as practical and precise as we can make them to give you the necessary instrumentarium.
Thank you again for your response, I am amazed there is so much support for our little piggies. :)

Thank you again for your response, I am amazed there is so much support for our little piggies. :)

We are working hard to keep this a friendly and supportive place where any questions can be asked but also with a lively community to hang out with if you like in the chat sections. We also offer as much practical information as we can.
he guide links are there for more practical how-to tips and in-depth information on aspects we can only touch upon in our posts but not talk about in all detail, or we wouldn't be able to answer all postes

You may want to bookmark these links here as you may find them very helpful:
Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners
Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Welcome to the forum. It really is a wonderful, friendly place to ask questions and have fun too.

Back