Help- Which hutch?

icklebee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello

We are looking to get two pigs in the next few weeks but want to make sure we have the hutch etc all set up first

I have spent way too long searching for the right outdoor hutch...

Can you please tell me if you think this hutch will be suitable for 2 pigs, in the winter it will be moved into the garage so not too cold.
In the summer - will it need an additional run adding to it so the pigs have more room to run about?

Thank you for your help x

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUTDOOR-WO...2fbf0&pd_rd_wg=KJiKN&pd_rd_i=B00VKAOZE6&psc=1

Welcome to the forum and it’s great you’re doing your research!

i don’t feel this is suitable as a permanent home.
The enclosed area is far too small for them to ever be locked into but as the ground floor level is open to the grass they also couldn’t be left in that section overnight. Therefore rendering this not really useable at all.

Upper levels don’t count towards the cage size either so it’s only the ground floor level which an be counted and
needs to be suitable and meet requirements. So if you were to get a double storey hutch that’s fine as long as it is either a 5ft or 6ft hutch -

For two sows, a hutch needs to measure a minimum of 120x60cm but 150x60 is recommended.
For two boars, a hutch needs to be at least 150x60cm but 180x60cm is best due to their more territorial nature.

Look at Home & Roost website for a better example of a suitable hutch.

Last edited:
You will still need a run for lawn time.
You can either have one of the hutch/run combos (so open a ramp and let them go down) or a hutch and a separate run. Personally I prefer the separate hutch and run rather than the combos simply because moving a combo around the grass is hard work (too heavy). The grass will need time to recover once they’ve been on it so there is a lot of benefit in being able to move a run around the grass regularly. The hutch can be positioned appropriately and then you can transfer them from hutch to run for their play time when you are there to supervise

I liked the look of the Chartwell hutch from home and roost but unfortunately I didn't feel the quality was great upon arrival and I sent it back, also it was actually from the hutch company, I discovered that home and roost are a stockist, they don't actually make them.

Good on you for doing your research first. Another thing I would do is to first be in touch with a rescue (that’s the route we recommend) so that you don’t get things that don’t meet their requirements in terms of housing. You also have to think about the weather if they’ll be housed outside when you bring them home. Unless you’ll put them in the garage until it’s warmer outside.

I agree re a separate run and hutch. I would go for the larger size (6ft) in case you end up with boars. Exciting stuff! 😁

Back