Help! What Is This Crust Formation On Spices Backside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_piggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I found this crusty thing on my pig spices backside during a routine body check. It's right on the oil gland. Why has this happened?

20151108_123219.webp

This is what came off him when I bathed his backside and oil gland.

20151108_132314.webp

It looks like a crust of grease from his grease gland. Is it like a waxy substance?. All piggies are different. Some of our pigs produce far more than yours and some produce far less.

It looks like a crust of grease from his grease gland. Is it like a waxy substance?. All piggies are different. Some of our pigs produce far more than yours and some produce far less.
I've checked the other two and ginger is fine for now but patches looks and feels like he may need a wash in that area. I found that once I followed the steps from another thread on here, it was easy enough to take care of the clump. Is it common for older piggies to produce more oil from their glands?

@Miss_piggie age seems to have no relevance to whether a piggy has a very active grease gland or not. Billy (boar) has had really greasy back end since we got him at a few moths old, Cupcake (sow) was the same. Yet Piglet (boar) and Lucy (sow) had tidy back ends where you hardly knew there was a grease gland unless you looked. I've never had a piggy that developed one in later life.

I'm
@Miss_piggie age seems to have no relevance to whether a piggy has a very active grease gland or not. Billy (boar) has had really greasy back end since we got him at a few moths old, Cupcake (sow) was the same. Yet Piglet (boar) and Lucy (sow) had tidy back ends where you hardly knew there was a grease gland unless you looked. I've never had a piggy that developed one in later life.
I'm just shocked at how much it had clumped spices fur. I've never seen something like that before.

I suppose it's a bit like super hair wax that people pay lots of money for to spike or style their hair, except it smells a little different.

Hah
I suppose it's a bit like super hair wax that people pay lots of money for to spike or style their hair, except it smells a little different.
Haha, quite a bit different. But yes, I do understand what you are talking about. My piggies definitely do not like bathtime , so I try not to wet them too much. Unless I have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back