Help - what bedding should I use

PuiPuisDuvidad

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I own two young male Guinea Pigs and I’m currently having a bedding problem. I’ve tried a lot of things but most of the time their bedding just get filthy extremely fast. First I tried egg crate supports combined with diapers, but it hurt their feet so I’ve taken off after some time. On my second attempt I tried using cat litter box granulated sand, which to be honest was kinda working, but every time I cleaned it, it came with a lot of small sand particles that I think may be harmful to out health. On my newest attempt, I tried using a diaper with fleece liner on top. Although their pee was correctly absorbed, after in day they were stepping on their poop and making a great mess, which was hard to spot clean, and so another idea failed. Anyone knows what am I doing wrong and has a tip? By the way, I think it is important to announce that for now they are living in a cage, I know it isn’t the best for them but they will have a pen in a near future. Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum

Your bedding can be either fleece with an absorbent layer underneath or a disposable bedding such as wood shavings or paper bedding.
Cat litter is not usually suitable.

Whatever bedding you use, you need to spot clean it once or ideally twice a day - brush off or sweep up poops and remove any wet areas of disposable bedding and hay.
So where you said when you were using fleece ‘after a day they were stepping on their poops’ - that is normal but you need to sweep up the poops each day.

Bedding For Guinea Pigs - Overview
A Detailed Guide For Fleece Bedding

I was using fleece for years, but recently switched to bedding because with 6 piggies, 3 cages, it got to be a lot to handle!
I use Small Pet Select; I get it off Amazon but Chewy has it as well, and it's pretty absorbent.

I do spot clean daily and do a full cleaning once a week though. But I like the paper bedding.

Back