Help! Water & Hay Concerns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaynieg76

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi... I'm Jayne ... Aka Willie, Jep n Jases Mam LoL...

My 3 ten week old boars, have now been part of our family for just over 2 weeks.

I've currently been feeding them fresh greens in the morning (Curley kale, spring greens, parsley, kohlrabi leaves etc etc)... They have endless supplies of alfalfa hay... Then later on in the afternoon I fill 3 bowls with harringtons piggy pellets.

I have 2 water bottles in their cage, and 2 bowls directly beneath their bottles with fresh water.

The problem I'm experiencing is I don't think their eating as much hay as they ought to be, and they hardly seem to be touching their water.

Any advice please?

(Thankyou in advance) x

Piggies tend to eat more hay than anything, also if you wash their veg I would assume they are getting water from them. We have guinea's that drink a lot to not a lot at all :)

Just one other thing, you might want to look at the list below, it's different types of food and about their diet :)

What Can Guinea Pigs Eat? – The Guinea Pig Safe Food List

Thankyou Kerrie74, I actually copied that safe food list before I picked our piggies up... (I grow alot in my garden, so needed to know what was safe)

I do wash their veggies, so I guess your right, their more than likely getting water off them.

Their hay on the other hand... I find I'm throwing away more than their eating. I put fresh alfalfa in every day, but it doesn't seem to get touched. :(

Ermm, I've had to chop and change our hay.. trust me it can be a pain with some guinea's lol, how about getting a different type of hay and mix in the one you already have with it?

That's an absolute brilliant idea Kerrie74, I wasn't sure if I could. With the piggies only been babies still... I had it drummed into me off the breeder that only alfalfa was best.

I think ill order some timothy hay and mix half and half, and see what the little monsters make of that! :)

Wow... Thanku sooooooo much Kerrie... your an absolute angel x
(your piggies are lucky piggies having such a knowledgeable mam ;) ) xx

Hi there! :D Regarding hay, how old are your piggies? Alfalfa based hay is only really needed for little ones, if they're older then they can have meadow, timothy hay etc.

Hi chief guinea pig! ... My boars are 10 weeks now, still babbies. ... The breeder I got them from kind of insisted on alfalfa till they was 10months.... But they just don't seem to want to eat it for me :( xx

Thanks @Jaynieg76

To be honest I have an 11 week old and when I asked on here if they needed anything different I was told no, also the rescue never advised us to give him any different hay. However I did get him a hay ring from wilkos, which both him and our 9 month old downed. I think I'll tag @Wiebke in as she's very knowledgeable and it was her that said I didn't have to do anything different apart from giving a bit more pellets.

Its aweful sometimes been a new piggy keeper! ... I get told info from locals, and titbits from online... What no one tells us though, is that every piggy is different from the next! :)

Mixing hay seems like a brilliant option, I'm trawling viovet now as we speak.

I'll take a look at them hayrings in wilkos too... They sound promising.

Meanwhile... Piggies are here in the sun chewing grass... Unawares that mams in a flutter hahaha :D ... X

Thankyou so much... I really do appreciate all this impeccable advice... Lovely, lovely people here x

Its aweful sometimes been a new piggy keeper! ... I get told info from locals, and titbits from online... What no one tells us though, is that every piggy is different from the next! :)

Mixing hay seems like a brilliant option, I'm trawling viovet now as we speak.

I'll take a look at them hayrings in wilkos too... They sound promising.

Meanwhile... Piggies are here in the sun chewing grass... Unawares that mams in a flutter hahaha :D ... X

Thankyou so much... I really do appreciate all this impeccable advice... Lovely, lovely people here x
Ha ha I think piggy advice varies across pet shops and internet. In each section of the forum we have got guides which will tell you all you need to know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back