• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help urgent advice please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Chocolate my 3yr old sow has an extremely sore and swollen eye which is weeping badly,she was fine yesterday,I have bathed it with cooled boiled water,but have no eyedrops,at 11am she was ok but her eye was cloudy,now it is awful :'(,I'm going to take her to the vet tomorrow,but wondered if anyone had any advice to make things easier for her tonight... :(

Sorry, i'm not very experienced with this sort of thing, have you checked inside her eye incase there is hay or something stuck? I hope she's ok :( x

Don't worry too much. It's probably just a bit of hay in her eye...or maybe she's got conjunctivitus? Just book her a vet appointment as soon as you can and she will be fine :smitten:

It sounds like she may have something in her eye, unless you are experienced, I really wouldn't try to get it out as you could make it worse, it needs to be done by a vet or an experienced guinea owner. It definately needs to be checked just in case it is an infection.

As for making her comfortable in the meantime, I wonder about Brolene eye ointment, if you have a late night chemist near you, its for humans but can be safely used on pigs. Any more experienced guinea owners know if putting on ointment or or bathing the eye will make it worse before it gets checked? I'm sorry, I really don't know, it's just a thought :-\

Sounds like there is something in her eye to be honest, dont tamper with it, just get her to the vet asap O0

The fact thata the eye has gone opaque is good.This is natures way of resting and healing.Do not put anything into the eye,.The vet will give you any neccesary eye drops.

Thanks for all the advice,am taking her this afternoon,earliest vet could see her :-\,will let you know how she is.
maryh said:
The fact thata the eye has gone opaque is good.This is natures way of resting and healing.Do not put anything into the eye,.The vet will give you any neccesary eye drops.
Thanks Mary this has made me less worried. :)

Good luck at the vets,I am sure your piggy will be fine.Eye infections/injuries heal fairly quickly.

Dont be worried mine has the same.

Its mites and the vets gie you a gel.

Mites go within 2 weeks with gel so dont be worried at all! 0:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back