Help - Should We Take On These Rescue Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minkersmum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven't posted on here for years! Had fun reading my previous posts - seems do long ago. Stuff i had long forgotten.
Our beautiful pig Garry died last week. He was almost 7 and for a couple of days seemed off his food. I brought him through to the lounge fearing our utility room was too hot since new water tank in there and was devastated to find him next morning having past over rainbow bridge. Loved that wee ginger ninja so very much.
So my youngest has been asking about another piggy. Obviously a pair (Garry came as a lone pig from a rescue so only ever had him and have to say he seemed a happy boy, very chilled and cuddly)
Our local sspca have a mother and daughter we could adopt. Mum about 1-2 and baby about 10 weeks. Both came from a place with around 90 piggies - 30 taken into rescue, all with bumblefoot/mites/ringworm. They have been treated and vet says they are now good to go.
So questions! Health wise - am I crazy taking them on given past health probs? Are these things likely to re- occurr? They are potentially more closely related than just mother/daughter as very possible the father is related given circumstances they came from.
Also having only had a very chilled cuddly boar - will sows be so very different? Certainly more skittish at the momemt but with all the treatments baths etc no wonder really!

Advice very welcome! Thank you!

You just never can guess. The girls may live out their lives illness free, or they might become ill tomorrow.

And the same goes for personality. They might be skittish or not. If you spend time with them then they should calm down over time anyway.

It might be worth having a visit to see the pigs, to see if you immediately love them and want to give them a home. They sound like they deserve to have a loving home, poor littlw critters.

I agree with Jaycey. Go and meet them and let your heart do the rest. Best of luck.

I cant see why bumble foot would reoccur. Ringworm is contageous and could well have been due to unhygenic conditions.

I can usually tell if the animal is right for me just from a picture of them. Never been wrong yet!

If you like them and they feel right I would take them. These two sound like they need some love from an experienced owner and you have experience. You could get the best bred, happiest past history piggies and still get health problems, you can never tell whats round the corner. Right now the vet says they are healthy and thats a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back