• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help - Sam has diarrhoea HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayneG

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi guys, my himi Sam has diarrhoea. I noticed earlier today, he's not eating much and looking a bit sorry for himself with a very mucky bum. What can I do? I have some baytil here but not sure if that's the answer. Got some water into him just now. Please help!

Well, I would start with evaluating his diet. What have you been feeding him the few days leading up to this?

Apples and things like that will often cause diarrhea, in addition to the mouth sores that they cause.

He has had some apple this week yes. I tend not to give it a lot. I actually offered him a piece yesterday and he didn't eat it. He's still not well this morning. I've syringed a little water into him. Should I give him a tiny bit of diocalm or something. Am sure I've read that here somewhere.

And probiotics? Where can I get some on a Sunday. Pets at home maybe? Oh I'm getting worried now :-(

You need to take him to a vet ASAP. Alot of times signs like this show up, and it's too late if you wait too much longer. I'm not sure what theywould perscribe, but a visit to your vets seems in order..

If he's only had a little apple this week, and he's used to having it somewhat, I don't think that's the problem. In the mean time, watch out for a snot nose, and goupy eyes and a wet bum.

I'm sorry I can't help much more..

Hope this helps and keep us updated.

Where are you situated love? Let us know there might be somebody who's close by that can give you advice or advise you where to go O0
Offer mushed up pellets and syringe this to keep the food intake, i believe it's best to cut out all fruits.
On Guinea Lynx they have many threads dedicated to this..... take a look O0

Thanks - am in Chingford. Have just come back from vets. He's been given a shot of metacam and I have to give him 1.6 of baytril twice a day. He's so weak though. Just got a few drops of mushed up cavy cuisine into him. I hope he can fight this :'(

Make up as satchet of rehydration powder and give little and often,this will replace the minerals and salts lost through the diarrheoa.You can give half a tablet or capsule of either Diacalm or Lomatil,once every 8 hours.2 doses should be enough.

Remove
e all green veg,just feed hay,dry grass,a small amount of carrot and sweetcorn.If the piggy is not eating the dry mix youwill need to try and get at least 25mls into him per day. You could mix 2 teaspoonfuls of of Critical Care or Recovery into the mix.
A drop of Abidec per day will help boost the immune system.
Keep the piggy warm,bring him indoors if he lives outside.

Good luck,I am sure he will be o.k. Mary

Thanks Mary, I will do this. He's inside anyhow. Haven't heard of abidec, I will look that up. Fingers crossed :'(

Hi, Abidec is a vitimin supplement for babies.It comes in liquid form,and the dose for a gp is one drop per day.I put a drop on a spoon,then add about hald a ml of water.If you live in the UK it is available from chemists and supermarkets.It is very good for poorly pigs,those that are not eating much veg,and frail elderly.If the piggy is not eating any veggies,give it daily,otherwise 2 to 3 doses a week are enough.

Mary

He died last night. I feel so terrible :'( :'( He was just 9 months old. I must have killed him. He was fine on Friday. I knew it was bad after the vets. His lips were blue. I tried to get water into him and he did try. I can't cope with this. I'm afraid of hurting my other pigs now. This is the second time for Eric, he lost his first mate last year and now he's lost Sam. I don't think I'll ever have more, it hurts too much. Thanks for all your help though. This forum is a godsend.

Oh Jayne I am so sorry you have lost Sam.,but please,please,stop beating yourself up.We all feel guilty when we lose a piggy even when we know we have done all we could.

I rather suspect that Sam was born with a renal problem,or possibly a heart defect.Very often these genetic problems cause no trouble until the pig reaches adulthood,then they get sick very quickly. I think maybe this was renal rather than heart,because sudden severe diarrheoa can be indicative of renal failure.

Please do continue to keep piggies,you are a very caring owner and could give a rescue pig a very good home.

All my piggies send hugs

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back