• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help Required

• Thread starter Thread starter Toffee4ever
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Toffee4ever

A friends piggie has lost a lot of hair, she has taken her to the vet and he thinks it is may be tumors? on her ovaries. the little piggies is 5 -6 years old and the vet is proposing to operate this week as they are large ang possibly squashing other organs. Can anyone advise if this is the best option.

Hair loss can be a symptom of ovarian cyst.The loss is normally bi lateral along the sides,and often on the tummy.Another symptom is sexual aggressiveness.

An injection of HCG will sometimes shrink the cysts.I have a sow who had 3 cysts,.She had severe hair loss and had become very sexually aggressive.After the injection. her hair grew back within weeks and the aggression has ceased.My vet checked her after 4 weeks and the cysts had gone.This treatment does not always work but is worth a try.Hysterectomy is a very big op for a piggy,but if the vet feels the cyst is life threatening,I guess you have no option but6 surgery.Make sure the vet is used to operating on gps.

Thank you Mary, if its the vet I have seen he is not long out of training and tried to tell me to seperate a pig with cystitys to her give antibiotics in water. I believe he trained in Italy and he said they get more trining in small animals

I've had several sows with Ovarian Cysts, one had a hysterectomy and never fully recovered from the op, the rest (I honestly don't know how many), have had HCG injs, one had large cysts and they needed to be drained as well as a course of HCG. I don't think I'd let any of my sows have that op.

I saw this little girl today and she has lost a lot of hair in the last couple of weeks. She was treated for mites just in case but continued to lose hair big time. Her owner was convinced by the vet that the best option was to operate because they are so large. She has the op on Thursday so finger and paws crossed for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back