• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Possibly something serious!

• Thread starter Thread starter horsedude121
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

horsedude121

My guinea pig over the last couple of days has made noises resembling a ducks quack, is it coughing, choking whats wrong with it?

Quick response would be great

Thanks

Sam

I'm sorry I can't help apart from say if you are worried get your piggy to the vet.I'm sure someone in the know will be along soon :)

I can only guess its a nasal noise so possibly a respiratory infection, but as its breathing I should go and see a vet :)

Ralfies coughs sound like a duck quacking :) He had a URI, take the piigy to the vets and get some antibiotics! It will be ok :) x

My pigs cough now and then and it does sound a lot like a duck's quack but not necessarily serious at all as none of mine are ill when they cough. Is it after or during feeding? Some are such hogs that they eat their dinner too fast (especially the dry food) and that makes them cough a bit. If you're worried, though, there's no harm in getting him checked. :-)

Has your piggy made the noise anymore? The other day I was sitting in the room with my piggy and I heard a noise I never heard before. It sounded like a hiccup. He did it about 5 or 6 times but during the course of about a half hour. It was weird because I thought something was wrong. I took him out and he stopped. Then did it again when I put him back in. I know there is no infection because he's been on an antibiotic for 3 weeks, due to a bad abscess. It's been a couple of days since the strange noise, and he's as happy as ever. I guess I'll never know! I was wondering if your piggy has done it since and if you found out what it was! I hope it turned out to be nothing!

Does your piggy arch forwards when he/she makes that noise, and does he/she do it repeatedly for a while? If so it sounds like hiccups, but if it happens a lot I would get it checked just to be safe. One of my pigs used to get hiccups and when I first saw it I was terrified something was terribly wrong but she just stopped after a while and was fine.

A cough is more like a one off quacking sound. Again, not necessarily anything to worry about on it's own unless it happens a lot. :)

how's your little one doing? hope she/he is doing ok. sounds like it could have been a URI or just an irritation. have you seen a vet?
Hugs :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

that cough/sneeze sounds like an allergy to me, have you got him/her on saw dust or change the make of hay you buy, have you introduced a new veg or change food lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back