Help please!

• Thread starter Thread starter *Gem*
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

*Gem*

We have 2 sows and up until now they have been getting on fine. But for the past couple of days, today especially Athena keeps 'rumbling' at Cleo and chases her around. Cleo seems to get quite anxious about it and runs away making alot of noise. A few times I think Athena has gone for her as well, but I can't be sure as I'm not sure if they're just playing ( she'll be doing this one minute then they'll both be popcorning the next) We've checked them over and they both seem fine ( we also triple checked the sex and they're both definitely females )

We're just a bit worried and dont know what to do. Most of the time they're fine with each other, Athena even wheeks if Cleo's taken away, she hates being apart from her. They're both around 8 - 10 weeks old so we're thinking it may just be asserting dominance?

Can anyone give any advice?

I think it sounds just like normal dominance. Just keep a close eye on them. My boys used to rumble, chase each other when they were young. At first I was really worried but then they'd popcorn so it seemed to be a bit of a game. It wasn't until they got a bit older that it actually became a problem.

I'm sure they'll be fine, just keep close eye on them and check them over regularly. There's no need to separate them unless theres bloodshed, which I doubt it will come too.

It sounds like they are going through puberty. The one doing the rumble-strutting and mounting is in heat. This would explain the sudden struggle for dominance. It sounds gross, but when they get a bit older you'll see them flaunting their er, 'undercarridges', as they strut. Not ladylike!
Hopefully they'll sort themselves out in the next few months. :)

Yeah, its perfectly normal, dominance/on heat could be either, nothing else I can think of it could be...and you've checked the sexes, they'll be fine.... O0 ;D

And I dont think they would be popcorning if there was anything wrong! ;D :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back