• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
when we went to put the piggies to bed tonight we noticed on of gizmos eyes looked very sore,we bought her in for a closer look and its all cloudy,have made an appointment at the vets for 9am in the morning,I pressume she has caught it on something? or knocked it some how,any advice ? should I be doing anything or do I just wait for the vets tomorrow,I am really worried and feel guilty as I must have missed it when I gave them thier tea....It was definately fine at lunchtime as we had a cuddle :'( :'(

Aw dont feel guilty sammy it could have happened after tea, i cant really offer any advice sorry, its probably hay or something got in there. Ive got my fingers crossed for her hope shes ok x

Going opaque is natures way of resting and healing an injured eye.There is no treatment,the eye will heal itself in a few days.The vet will try and sell you an expensive ointment or drops,but in my experience,these are a waste of time.Obviously if you are very worried and feel that a trip to the vet will put your mind at rest,that is fine.

These injuries can happen so quickly and easily it is not your fault at all.

I've calmed down now :)I just get so upset when any of our animals are poorly, am obviously a bit of a panic merchant ;D ;D,well she's all tucked up in bed
so I'll let you know how she is in the morning,thanykou again,It's so lovely knowing that there is always someone on here that's willing to help or just listen.
You are all worth your weight in gold :-* :-*

we've just got back from the vets (decided to go as it looked so sore this morning). They have kept her in and are going to put some local anaesthetic in her eye along with some dye to check the damage and get whatever is in there out I presume it's a bit of hay or auboise....? I feel so bad,maybe I should change their bedding,but I've had them on it for years and never had a problem before,I just hope she hasn't damaged her eye too much,will let you know later when the vet rings me :'( :'(

Hi never think that its something that you have done wrong. My piggie was always getting runny eyes especially when outside in summer. I bathed her eyes in mild eye solution and that did the trick but its often little strands of grass and hay as the little devils are always nesting and burrowing in the hay.
Good luck and let us know how she is
xx

I have just spoken to the vets and she's fine, they removed a piece of grass/hay ? and she will be sent home with eye drops incase of infection.
I think the nurse was a little bit :smitten: :smitten:,as she kept telling me what a wonderful little piggie she is, I hope no pignapping goes on before I get there ;D ;D

In the photo gallery ,page 13,my pet piccys, jack(giz posted them),she's about twice the size now,will post some new ones tonight especially for you,she's the ginger one on the right....no good with breeds ;D ;D

Aw i've just found her :smitten: so cute! I love her white tuft ;D the other two are gorgeous too! xx

I didn`t see this post, I am glad she is ok, I am always worried about my lot getting an eye injury from hay especially when I put loads of fresh stuff in, don`t see them for ages as they burrow under it ;D

I am a bit paranoid at the mo but logic says it could have been from the hay manger ....and they can't go without hay...I've had piggies for 5 years now and nothing like this has ever happened before or with my rabbit before I had GP's :)

Dont be paranoid sammy, as you say they've got to have hay, it could happen to any piggie its just unfortunate but there isnt much you can do to prevent it except maybe getting longer stranded, less dusty hay?! x

Just caught this thread Sammy, hope Gizmo is ok! Don't blame yourself, easier said than done I know. Sending love to Gizmo Lesley :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back