• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help please - squinting/wincing in pain; weight loss, but no clear diagnosis

cookie_ladyfriend

New Born Pup
Reaction score
For the last couple of months, possibly more, Pepper (5 year old sow) has been experiencing bouts of pain and lethargy.

When in pain, she will stay in a hidey most of the day, and periodically squint/wince like she's in pain. Sometimes she sleeps, sometimes she just stares. Even on bad days, she will have periods of full-energy activity, where she is alert, running around the cage, and a happy guinea pig.

History:

In June, her cagemate Truffle passed away (GI stasis from antibiotics). In my grief, I didn't realize Pepper hadn't seen Truffle's body. She kept looking for her, and I eventually bought all new blankets and cage stuff because it was breaking my heart.

Six weeks later, I adopted Willow. Pepper tolerates her and I'm glad she has another companion. About this time, Pepper started to lose weight. She went from 1071g in June down to a low of 927g in late September. In the last week, inexplicably, she has started to regain weight and is back to 983g.

At no time did she lose her appetite.

Weight Loss and Vet Visit

At first, I took the weight loss to be a function of moving around in the cage much more, as she was asserting dominance over Willow. I tried to remedy the weight loss by taking her out for meals, as Willow was eating much faster than Pepper, and giving her more veggies. I also bought oat hay. This did kind of work, and I was able to get her back to 1034g. But I noticed an increased frequency of her pain symptoms. I thought it might be bloat and scaled back on the veggies. I am not able to correlate the quantity of veggies she's eating to her pain. Her weight then went back down to 985g. I have attached a chart tracking her weight for 2024.

She has always been a vocal, chittery lady, so I did not suspect anything related to her mouth until recently. In the last couple months, when we have cuddle time, she began chittering after 2-3 minutes of gentle petting. I began to suspect this was a teeth issue.

I was traumatized from going to the vet with Truffle, but I gathered my courage and took her in. I gave them all the info I had. The vet was kind, but a HORRIBLE guinea pig vet, and I deeply regret taking her; he decided to take her temperature with a rectal thermometer, and the poor girl spent the next few days squealing when she pooped. He said her fur looked healthy, and outwardly she looked fine (I agree). He attempted to examine her teeth—front teeth seemed okay, back/molars he was unable to see because there was food there. He did not put much effort into checking the back teeth, despite that being the reason I was there. He squeezed some pee out of her and ran an $80 test. He told me the pee was cloudy and wrote a script for the same antibiotic that killed poor Truffle, along with an anti-inflammatory. Guinea pig pee is always cloudy, because of calcium. I did not give her the antibiotics.

So now here I am, making this post. I have no idea what to do, and to see her in pain is destroying me. I cannot find any pattern to this.

Observations:
- poop looks totally normal (vet agreed)
- no apparent pain when peeing or pooping
- appetite has never waned (minor exception: the most recent box of hay, she has started rejecting _some_ of the seed heads, which is out of character, as she generally goes crazy for those. when she does reject them, i keep going through the box until I find one she will eat.)
- when in pain, she is on all-fours, slightly hunched
- when I see her in pain, I will occasionally pick her up and cuddle with her. After I put her back, most of the time she seems to feel better for 5-10 minutes, goes around the cage handling her business, and then goes back to her hidey and sleeps.
- when she knows breakfast or dinner is on the way, she is full energy, paws on the grid, can't eat fast enough.

WRT common tooth pain symptoms:
- she does have a wet mouth and beard after eating, but this has always been the case.
- she has been eating a little slower than normal
- she does not shy away from eating harder foods, like her oxbow biscuits
- she does not appear to have trouble keeping food in her mouth

I am desperate for help here, any advice is most welcome. I feel helpless not being able to do anything, and not even understanding what the problem is. Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2024-10-18 at 21.11.08.webp

PXL_20240817_222323457.webp

Poor girl, you must be very worried in case you lose her. The rectal thermometer sounds horrible. My vet said it is normal and a good thing for guinea pigs to have food in their mouth. Not for rabbits, but it is for guinea pigs. She cleared some out with a few Q tips and then used an ear instrument (otoscope) with a light and could see the molars like that without making piggy uncomfortable. I wonder if temperature can be measured using an infrared ear thermometer. If you can get to an exotic vet, it's worth it. Unfortunately they can be scarce. Sending comforting vibes, I hope everything turns out OK.

Poor Pepper needs to see a vet who knows about guinea pigs. I will link the recommended vet list for you. I'm assuming you are in the UK?

In the mean time I would syringe feed her.

She's losing weight so probably not eating enough hay. Hay consumption can't be measured by eye which is why daily weight checks are important when they are ill. Eating pellets and veg can be deceptive, hay is usually the first food they go off of. Syringe food replaces the missing hay.

If you have a look on the GuineapigLynx website they do have a list of recommended US vets. Sadly experienced Guinea pig vets are few and far between

Last edited:
I am going to ask for your post to go into the Health section so a health expert will see it.

From my experience of having a Guinea pig with a dental molar spur, your description of your observations does not spring to mind as dental. Her weight loss, while alarming for any owner is quite slow and hopefully she may have peeked 🤞Has arthritis been considered due to her age and the fact she displays discomfort?

Thanks again for your thoughts and comments, everyone. I can feel your emotional support, and it is very meaningful 🙏
I am going to ask for your post to go into the Health section so a health expert will see it.

From my experience of having a Guinea pig with a dental molar spur, your description of your observations does not spring to mind as dental. Her weight loss, while alarming for any owner is quite slow and hopefully she may have peeked 🤞Has arthritis been considered due to her age and the fact she displays discomfort?
Arthritis is not something I have considered, but I think it's a great new avenue of research for me. Thank you.

I agree with your thoughts on the weight loss, and somehow she's shot back up to 1000g. I've attached an updated graph, the trajectory in the last few days is wild.

Screenshot 2024-10-20 at 14.06.27.webp

Yesterday, after a not great morning and afternoon, Pepper had the best day she's had in months—super active, bouncing around the cage, alert. And she's recently changed the way she sleeps—while she still sleeps a lot, she is now curled up in a comfy position, rather than hunched over. I am starting to feel more optimistic, but is it normal for issues like these to just clear up on their own? I would imagine not. I wish vets knew more, and pigs were more transparent when feeling discomfort. I would give up a limb if it helped her pain.

There is some new eye discharge recently that I'm a little concerned about. It pops up while she's grooming, which I understand is pretty normal, but recently she's stopped wiping it away.

This is a bizarre constellation of symptoms. If she continues to experience pain, might it be a good idea to investigate pain meds?

Back