• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help please - sickly new Mother and babes

• Thread starter Thread starter jodie3
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jodie3

On Friday Freya gave birth to six babes who sadly all died. I assume they were premature as although perfectly formed they all only had hair on their heads and naked bodies. The day before I noticed she had sores by each elbow. I thought she had scratched herself on her igloo as being rather large she sometimes got stuck. I took the igloo away and put some savlon on the sores. Friday morning they were worse and I do wonder if my poking her about caused her to go into labour early. Saturday morning I was horrified to see she had scratched/chewed one back leg so it was really sore and the sores on her elbows were also worse. I put tea tree cream on them and they did seem to dry up a bit. Saturday afternoon her cagemate Tallullah had five babies, sadly one was dead. I had left her and Freya together as I thought it would be more stressful for poor Freya to be on her own. Everything seemed fine, Freya was 'helping' with the babies and I breathed a sigh of relief!
But, by the next morning Tallullah had done the same thing to one of her back legs and also had a sore on her back. I put tea tree on them both and kept a close eye on them. The sores did dry up a bit but both girls looked miserable and were eating but not with their usual gusto.
This morning one of the babes was looking very quiet and sadly later died. The other three just look puny, still with that newborn frog look. As the girls sores were still looking horrible I took all of them to the vet this afternoon. She didn't really know what it was so got one of the other vets to have a look. He didn't look too sure but decided it was probably a reaction to mites brought about by the stress of pregnancy and labour. I said they hadn't been scratching at all prior to this but he said they can have mites and not cause a problem but stress could cause them to react to the mites. They both had an antibiotic jab and I've got some wash for them and an antibiotic puffer. They have to go back next week for another jab. He wasn't bothered about the babies, he said that they can eat quite happily on their own and they wouldn't get the sores. BUT the girls are very subdued, eating a little bit but not much and won't be tempted by their favourite cucumber or grass. They aren't being horrible to the babies but equally aren't being maternal at all. Two of the babies are now looking hunched and subdued. I've offered them some finely chopped grass and cucumber but they aren't interested. The other babe is fine, running round happily.
So, any suggestions about how to make the girls more comfortable; what else can I do to help the babies; any ideas about what might have caused it in the first place? Just help really as I hate to see the girls suffering and I can't bear to lose any more babies.

(I've taken them off vetbed and back onto shavings, burnt the hay and put them back onto horsehage and washed the cages with virkon e just in case.)

Sorry to go on but I wanted to explain everything! Thanks in advance.

Jo

I am so sorry you are having this worry with your piggies.I am not a breeder so cannot help very much,but if the vet thinks the mums have mites they should be given an injection of Ivermectin to kill the mites.Kamilosan ointment(available from a chemist,possibly,supermarket) will soothe the sores and it is safe if the babies ingest it.Mash the veg up as this will make it easier for the babies to eat,they mmay like some mashed banana.Soak the dry food in warm water.Paws crossed for you,and I am sorry I cannot help more,you need someone who does a lot of breeding to advise you. Mary

Phone Rona on 01223 357703, she will be able to help you on all fronts.

Very sorry to here about your little mums and their bubs :'( :'( :'( :'(
I do hope you get to a vet quickly for them, please keep us posted wishing you all the very best, sending healing wheeks and loves :-* :-* :-* :-*

Despite what the vet said (and mine and my daughter's efforts) two more babies have died so i just have one left who ironically was the little runty one. He/she seems ok, bright, mobile and eating so I'm hoping for the best.

Still not convinced about the girls though. I washed them this morning with the hibiscrub and Freya has more sore patches. I've liberally puffed the antibiotic powder over the sore bits and they are both eating but just look so miserable. I feel so sorry for them both.

Just to clarify this, they all went to the vet.

Oh dear :( I'm so sorry for all those losses... its terribly sad :(
I hope you can get the mumies fixed soon though :)

Only just seen this post, how is everything now? It's quite upsetting to read posts like this as my piggie is due to give birth any day now but I'm glad you took them to the vets. Did the vet say that Freya may have had hre babies early as she was living with another pregnant sow (one going in to labour can set another one off)?
Hop all is well now ;)

The vet didn't say anything about why Freya's babies died. She had her babies before Tallullah but I think she had them early because of her sores. Her original patches are drying up but she has new ones too. Tallullah didn't have any sores till after her babes were born. Sadly all but one died but I don't know why as they were healthy enough to start with and the one left was originally the runt.
Panda (who is in a seperate cage) is due any day. She came up with a sore on her back a couple of days ago but the vet said she is too pregnant to have the anti-mite jab. I've been puffing the powder on it and it is looking much better but tonight she has developed another sore higher up. I'm due to take them back to the vets on Tuesday but I'm scared to take Panda as I think the stress of the journey might trigger early labour.
I'm sure I've eliminated the mites from the bedding/cages etc so until I can kill them off the actual pigs I suppose they will still have the sore patches.

Oh, poor piggies. Hope they get better soon, am glad to hear you took them to the vets though and you are still getting care for them :smitten:

I know if you have pregnant sow together they can give birth prematurely...maybe thats what happened?

I know my piggies are being pretty protective over themselves at the moment, maybe it was the stress of being together.

Awww I hope the little one is okay! Maybe try not handling them too much?

Sorry I cant really help, wish I could! :'(

I'm sure it will all turn out okay!

I am so sorry to hear your bad news it is in deed true having two pregnant mums together can induce an early labour in one or both , how is the baby I often find the runt ends up surviving and becoming a strong pig harvey scooby 2 and weenie all were tiny weenie was half the size of his siblings but is still with me today and a beauty she is totally stunning harvey and scooby are big strong boys now both of them were the only surviving babys so fingers crossed alls well,

I can't figure out from your posts but have they been treated for mites? The treatment is as Mary suggests - ivermectin. Antibiotics will not do anything to help this as the sores are generally caused by scratching. I would also be more concerned about the antibiotics used during pregnancy as it states on Guinea Lynx ivermectin is safe to use during pregnancy while some antibiotics (such are Baytril) are not. I would also recommend ditching the shavings as they can make skin problems worse.

sorry i dont know but sorry about the babies :'(

Tallullah and Freya have had two anti-mite jabs a week apart and Freya has had cortisone as well as her sore patches are still open and really sore looking. Panda had her first jab today as she couldn't have any til she had her babies. Tallullah and Freya go back next week for their third and hopefully last jab and Panda her second.
None of them had any medication whilst pregnant.
I've put them back on their vetbed now and I'm washing it at a higher temp just in case anything is lurking in there.
Bumble certainly doesn't look like a runt now, seems to be doing well so fingers crossed for the little one.

Aww glad it seems okay :) Keep an eye on the beautiful bubby :)
My pigs and I have our paws crossed for you all :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back