• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help please - problem with Ben

• Thread starter Thread starter sgprescue
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sgprescue

One of my lovely 2 1/2 year old peruvian boars Ben has just had to have a major operation today. He became very unwell and my vet could feel a very abnormal lump on one of his major organs. He operated on him today and found a yellow lump attached to his liver. He has removed the chunk of the liver with the lump on and sent samples off to be tested as he was unsure if it was a tumour or abcess ? Now the problem we have is the type of antibiotics that we need to use. Baytril is not strong enough to make any difference. Robs (my vet) small animal veterinary book recomended treatment with ampicillin (it gave specific doses for guinea pigs) which I could not understand as I am sure you all know guinea pigs should not have any penicillin based drugs ?. All of the websites on the internet state the obvious that ampicillin is highly toxic to guinea pigs however I did find one site that said you could use it in some cercumstances. As I didnt want to risk using it we have put him on a course of Engemycin injections as we know this is a safe drug to use. I really would like to know if anyone has used ampicillin on a guinea pig and what the outcome was?

I'm very sorry but i cant help but i hope all is well and he gets better sending hugs out to both of you - how is he in himself ? is he eating and drinking ok ? :-*

iloveanimals said:
I'm very sorry but i cant help but i hope all is well and he gets better sending hugs out to both of you - how is he in himself ? is he eating and drinking ok ? :-*

Unfortunatly not :-\ He is not his usual lively bouncy self. He was eating veggies and things last night but stopped eating on his own this morning. Fortunatly he is taking syringe food well although the vets dosed him up with pain killers

I can't help re Ampicillin Cheryl but know that Lyncomycin has been used safely on guineas, maybe its similar to Engemycin? It was for some pigs I had that had recurring abscesses (lots of).

Stating the bleeding obvious I'm sure but you're using a Probiotic aren't you :)

I wouldn't expect him to be too lively after that op :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back