• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help pig loosing weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just wanted some advice about one of our girls. She is about 1 ½ years old and seems to keep loosing weight. When we first weighed her she was 988g, then 2 weeks later she was 956g, then 2 weeks later she was 940g. Our other girl keeps putting weight on, has anyone go any suggestions?

Thanks for your advice, sally.

hi sally,
Is she eating okay? Does she get on with her cage mate?
I just wondered if maybe the other piggie is stopping her from eating.
I'd suggest popping to the vets just to get her checked over. :)

Hi Bon Bon thanks for your reply,

yes she eats the same as the other piggie and they do get on well. Sometimes the other piggie will steal has last bit of food, if she has not eaten fast enough, :( but not all the time.

I was wondering if it could be dental problems but you said she's eating okay :-\
It could be a mouth infection though, these are the only reasons I can think of for her weight loss except for old age but she's only one and a half so it's not that.I'd still get her checked out just to be sure O0

Pigs are great at hiding illnesses I would whizz her up the vets for a check up. It could be a number of things, or it could be down to her not getting her fair share of veg from the other pig. :)

Hope she is ok!

Are you sure she does not have mites?,they can cause weight loss.Another cause of we4ight loss in a piggy that is eating well is renal problems.

It would be a good idea to have a vet test her urine for diabetis,,if this is suspected a blood test would confirm.Diabetis is treatable.

It could be chronic renal failure(sometimes called wasting disease).There is no cure for this but it is not painful and the piggies can survive for up to a year.

It is unlikely to be a dental or mouth problem because it has been going on for some weeks,but it would not hurt for the vet to check the mouth and throat anyway.

Can you feel any lumps anywhere>,malignant tumours can cause weight loss.

Paws crossed that it is something simple like mites.

thank you everyone for your advice, yes we will take her to the vets in the morning.

I just weighed her again and she has put on weight and is now 994g, so not sure what to think :D

Hi Sally,

Another possibility is your scales are playing up, I know mine are I need digi ones. I think you are doing the right thing. Keep us posted! :)

Louise
x

Hi Sally, one of mine lost quite a bit of weight, about 50g a while back and then put it back on ? it could just be that she's exercising more than the other one or something simple. Id still get her checked out but try not to worry too much, its not an alarming amount to lose :) x

As she has put on weight it is unlikely to be anything serious.The weights can go up and down.Might be best to keep the vet appt, tho,just to make sure.

Also take care to weigh them at the same time of day. If they've just eaten a heap of veggies they can weigh as much as 30-40g more, it's quite ridiculous really!

Of course, take her to the vet if she keeps losing and weigh daily.

This happened to Fleur, she was 1100g lost 50g as she was put in a bigger pen and decided that she liked popcorning so she lost a little weight. I kept a check and weighed her every day last week and she was 1050 on Sunday, today she was 1100g! She ate loads last night though I always weigh in the morning before feeding. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back