Help - Pair Of Boars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katiedid

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello

We got our piggies a week and a half ago from a rescue. After a lot of research we decided to chance 2 neutered 1 year old boars from a rescue who were already paired and happy together.

The rescue had them arrive there in a group of 6 (one died, one was bullied so went to live with a girlie and the other 4 were paired up into 2 pairs). Dozy is enormous - clearly likes his food - Jet is small and agile. Although not totally unhandled neither had been given the level of handling that would make them totally tame. Jet now will just about nibble food if you hold it at arms length and will let me pick him up, Dozy will squeal if you stroke him but haven't picked him up and will protest at being picked up until he is in your arms. Both will sit on laps quite happily.

We got them on the Saturday Jet and Dozy and instantly they started fighting (there were a few bites on Jets rear end - thankfully these have healed and there have bee. They have separate hides, separate bowls water etc. They are indoors in a 2' by 4' cage and get a couple of hours at least in a larger enclosure either inside or if the weather is good outside.

So to the fighting. They don't fight over food (though Dozy will go into Jet's igloo if new food is introduced to check that he isn't getting anything extra - this usually results in a rumble noise from Jet and Dozy does that strange strut outside the igloo and the occasional loud teeth chatter. Once Dozy has seen he goes off and eats peacefully). They seem to fight over igloos. This morning Dozy was startled by a noise in the room and ran into Jet's igloo. Jet was fine but and left the igloo but wanted back in so did the rumble noise, teeth chattering and strutting then then had a fight which didn't draw blood but ended up with Jet loosing some fur.

Yesterday I put them in their playpen and Dozy followed Jet around and around until Jet got fed up. Again Jet ended up loosing fur and with a little tooth graze on his back. Once they settled they were fine.

The thing I want to know is - is this new enclosure new home stress and they will settle down (if so how can I help them) given that they have lived happily together before. Or am I looking at separating them (and putting them with a girlie each - or sending one back to the shelter and getting a girlie for the other :( )

They still seem stressed by the move. Whilst they will tolerate each other they aren't pally (but I have only had single piggies as a child so I don't know how pally they should be). When one comes out the igloo the other makes the rumble noise in its igloo - which stops so long as the first potters around and feeds.

Both will hide if you walk into the room - although this is getting better and Jet will occasionally let you stroke him and if you don't move too fast they will stay out the igloos. Walk at a normal speed and they hide (along with teeth chattering and rumbling).

Will they settle? How can I help them?

Thanks

Kate

Hi, Kate! I am sorry for your problems. I take it that you didn't get them from one of our recommended rescues?

Boars can fall out in new territory as they have to renew the dominance whenever their surroundings change. Neutering also only takes away their ability to make babies, it does NOT change their behaviour and it certainly doesn't mean that they will get on. The key to a successful boar bond is character compatibility and I am frankly somewhat doubtful that this is really the case here, especially as there have been bites to the rump, which is a sign of a serious fight.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/

As an immediate measure, please remove any hideys with just one exit; you can replace them with cardboard boxes with open sides if necessary. Fights often start when a piggy feels cornered without an escape route. A dominant piggy can be very possessive.

It would be great if you could hang onto both boys and have them paired up with a girl each that accepts him; preferably before you are bringing any girls home! With cross gender bondings, acceptance should happen within 15-30 minutes after first interaction. There are sadly far too many unwanted and neglected piggies out there, so for every one you take in, there is probably another one already waiting for its own chance at a happy life. :(
Cross gender bondings are generally the most stable once initial acceptance has happened. Please make sure that your boys have been neutered for 6 weeks before they meet any sows; otherwise they are not 100% safe. I have the surprise baby from a supposedly over 5 weeks post op boar currently living with me!
For our UK members, we have got a recommended good standard rescue locator on the top bar. All these rescues offer bonding at the rescue under expert supervision. I am currently working on a list of good standard rescues in the English speaking world. https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

If you are short on space, you can always consider a second story C&C cage either directly above on a table for easier access and more light. Ikea have got cheap table tops (linnmon 75x150cm) and legs that fit a cable-tied standard C&C cage nicely.

Please help us to always give you the appropriate advice and recommendations for your part of the world straight away by adding your country, state (US/Aus/Can) or county (UK) to your details. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details/location.

Hi there
I'm sorry that this has not been a good start to guinea pig owning. As they are neutered you could pair them with girls that they get on with, but in the meantime please do watch them carefully as it does not sound like they get on very well at all. Guinea pigs can do a surprisingly violent amount of damage to each other and often very suddenly without warning.

Let us know how you get on x

Thank you both. I got them from the JSPCA - the Jersey (Channel Islands) RSPCA. I think we will have to separate them but I don't want to swap either for a girl so I will need to persuade hubby that 2 more piggies - carefully introduced at the rescue - would be a great idea!(the kids adore them as do I - I hate seeing them so stressed). Is it worth doing a cage separation/partition then clean of cage and bath of piggies before reintroduction? We had an unneutered boar at the house a week before the piggies arrived (we babysat one for a week) could it be the scent of him still on the wall behind the cage?

The thing is if I got rid of one it would be the big soppy dopey Dozy - as he can be nippy - so not as good with the kids as Jet. But I adore him :(

It is always difficult in these situations!

Please give them a bath before introductions on neutral ground; that will remove any testosterone stink. One way of finding out whether it is worth risking re-intros (which can go wrong) is to trial separate overnight. If one of the boys is perking up noticeably, then you know that he wasn't happy in the relationship and I would not pursue any further. if both boys want to be back together, then have a go. if you do a re-intro, please be aware that you need time to supervise, especially the move back to the cage too. The most crucial moment with boar intros is usually when they wake up from their first shared nap.

Be firm, but gentle with Dozy. I have a sound (uh uh) that signals displeasure but I also give lots of praise (good boy), so a piggy can learn what is accepted behaviour and what not. Tweaking is usually a signal for wanting to go home, displeasure but can also be an attempt to get pig's way, especially with timid children. Never let your children handle the piggies without supervision. I am sure Dozy will eventually come round. It can also help if you fondle his ears - it's called "power grooming" and is friendly dominance behaviour that means "I want you to be part of my herd", putting you in the stronger position.

From what I have heard, the JSPCA are not too piggy knowledgeable and they may not offer dating at the rescue. Not all RSPCA branches do. Hence why we have only listed those branches that are really piggy savvy and have a good standard.

Thanks - I never let the kids handle them alone. I'm always there. I'm very firm with the kids that these are animals and not toys and need to be treated gently. Funnily enough their 'I've had enough sign' is that they come and find me and climb on my arm (even when they are with hubby - I get a little piggy come across the sofa and find me. I then take them back.

Another stupid question (sorry). I've noticed that Jet's wee is cloudy whereas Dozy's isn't. Could Jet be under the weather and have a UTI?

Cloudy wee only means that excess calcium is excreted and is nothing to worry about.

The early signs of a UTI are pain when peeing, lots of often very strong stale smelling or bloody pee. I usually notice an outbreak first by the smell; once you've had it it is pretty unmistakable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back