• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! oh

Shannaxx1

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new here and my son for his birthday I got him 2 adorable guinea pigs. Well last night we ran out or lettuce. We are still getting use to what they can and can’t eat so I was googling and talking to him. I laid some broccoli out and a little bit of cut of green bell pepper ( they have both had these before) I was asking google if they can eat onion just curious. Never said anything to my son about feeding them the chopped up raw onion! So I asked him how did your piggies like their food we will get some lettuce tomorrow. He said all they ate was the onion. So I instantly went back to google and we both have just been crying! It was an innocent mistake. My son is 11 and we both are scared to death. Called poison control, the vets don’t take “ exotic animals” in Winston Salem Monday is Labor Day. I hurried and went to the store for Romain lettuce soaked it with water and gave them some ( it was probably about 3 teaspoons of raw diced onion) we are not sure who ate it or the most 😭😭. They are still eating as of now this happened last night Friday around 6:30 pm. I labeled their water bottles where they are ate to make sure they are drinking liquids, we will continue the fresh hay. Can anyone help! Will they be okay!

Please try and not panic. Although guinea pigs shouldn’t eat onion, there should be no lasting damage. I expect that what onion they have eaten will have passed through by now. Just keep an eye on them for the next 24-48 hours and if your piggies suddenly become unwell then consult a vet but I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s not like they have eaten a lot x

Thank you both so so much, we both just cried ourselves to sleep. We will try not to stress so much and just keep watching them, They are eating today nothing has changed and I pray it doesn’t! I appreciate you both so much! It helped me feel alot better I will also do my son. 🫶🏼 They are active eating and drinking, but it hasn’t been a whole 24 hours yet.

They will most likely be ok from eating a small bit of onion but do see a vet is they become unwell or lethargic within 24 hours of eating it.
You can always do more regular weight checks if you are concerned about hay intake (piggies should be weighed every week as part of routine care to monitor adequate hay intake (hay is three quarters of the food they need to eat in a day but you can’t gauge intake by eye) but you can switch to daily weight checks if you are ever worried about them).

They are eating and will keep an him and keep you posted

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am very sorry for your panic. Onion isn't one of the highly toxic foods but simply one that should not be part of a regular diet as the toxins will build up in the liver with repeated feeding. A one-off won't do any lasting harm. You will find that piggies are very good at eating what you want them the least, especially anything plastic and they have a toddler's knack at finding it before you. ;)

They do however need to eat more than lettuce and dry mix or pellets.

Please take the time to read this our very helpful and practical diet guide which looks at diet as a whole and at every possible food group in detail, including which veg you can feed how often and in which quantity. Being edible doesn't necessarily mean that it is good to eat daily or often. We have done our best to give some easy but clear guidelines for new owners and have included a sample diet from which you can start off on your own.
Our food guide also contains a chapter with practical tips about what you can do when you run out of some food unexpectedly. You are by no means the first it has happened to. :)

A good, balanced mainly hay based diet can add 1-2 years to a healthy life span and take it from the lower end to the upper end so it is worth concentrating on it.

You and our son may also find our comprehensive New Owners guides collection helpful and may want to bookmark it, browse, read and re-read at need as you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience. .
The collection contains very practical tips on settling in new guinea pigs and making friends with them, understanding prey animal instincts and interactive behaviours, and even a little course in piggy whispering.
We feature detailed guides on housing, bedding, enrichment, hot weather care, grooming care, learning what is normal and not as well as spotting early signs of illness and advice on what to do in an emergency. There is also a bit more information about guinea pigs as a species.
Quite literally tens and tens of thousands of questions from the coming up to 20 years this forum has been in existence and personal experience going back half a century in some of us have gone into these guides. We have made them as practical and how-to precise as possible since we know that the devil is in the unforeseeable detail. After all, we have all started out knowing nothing at all and have made our own mistakes along the way.

We also offer a courtesy guide for double-checking the gender of any new arrivals and run a second opinion courtesy service in order to help keep unplanned surprises to a minimum.

You are always welcome to ask any questions you have along the way in our various Care sections. We promise that we will answer them in a friendly and helpful way, no matter how little or big. :)
For showing off your piggies and chatting about them, we have got our various Chat sections with a lively and supportive community with members from all over the world.

Please note that the best way to upload pictures is via the Attach files button underneath your post when you write it (it works for all formats) and that we do not have a video upload facility. We recommend that you upload your video on a public setting on a platform that does not require a member sign in (youtube is best). Then you can simply copy it across into your forum post.
Our forum is not part of social media and is run entirely by voluntary member donations. We all do this for free in our free time. We do however think that the advantages of having total control over our friendly little place is worth some trade-offs. :)

We are UK based so our forum downtime is ahead of you during your evening. You may have to wait for answers until the next day.

PS: For your own online safety and to help us tailor any advice to what is relevant for your country, I would recommend that you change your location to your state. You can do that by clicking on your username on the top bar and then go to location in your account details.

Hi and welcome

HUGS

I am very sorry for your panic. Onion isn't one of the highly toxic foods but simply one that should not be part of a regular diet as the toxins will build up in the liver with repeated feeding. A one-off won't do any lasting harm. You will find that piggies are very good at eating what you want them the least, especially anything plastic and they have a toddler's knack at finding it before you. ;)

They do however need to eat more than lettuce and dry mix or pellets.

Please take the time to read this our very helpful and practical diet guide which looks at diet as a whole and at every possible food group in detail, including which veg you can feed how often and in which quantity. Being edible doesn't necessarily mean that it is good to eat daily or often. We have done our best to give some easy but clear guidelines for new owners and have included a sample diet from which you can start off on your own.
Our food guide also contains a chapter with practical tips about what you can do when you run out of some food unexpectedly. You are by no means the first it has happened to. :)

A good, balanced mainly hay based diet can add 1-2 years to a healthy life span and take it from the lower end to the upper end so it is worth concentrating on it.

You and our son may also find our comprehensive New Owners guides collection helpful and may want to bookmark it, browse, read and re-read at need as you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience. .
The collection contains very practical tips on settling in new guinea pigs and making friends with them, understanding prey animal instincts and interactive behaviours, and even a little course in piggy whispering.
We feature detailed guides on housing, bedding, enrichment, hot weather care, grooming care, learning what is normal and not as well as spotting early signs of illness and advice on what to do in an emergency. There is also a bit more information about guinea pigs as a species.
Quite literally tens and tens of thousands of questions from the coming up to 20 years this forum has been in existence and personal experience going back half a century in some of us have gone into these guides. We have made them as practical and how-to precise as possible since we know that the devil is in the unforeseeable detail. After all, we have all started out knowing nothing at all and have made our own mistakes along the way.

We also offer a courtesy guide for double-checking the gender of any new arrivals and run a second opinion courtesy service in order to help keep unplanned surprises to a minimum.

You are always welcome to ask any questions you have along the way in our various Care sections. We promise that we will answer them in a friendly and helpful way, no matter how little or big. :)
For showing off your piggies and chatting about them, we have got our various Chat sections with a lively and supportive community with members from all over the world.

Please note that the best way to upload pictures is via the Attach files button underneath your post when you write it (it works for all formats) and that we do not have a video upload facility. We recommend that you upload your video on a public setting on a platform that does not require a member sign in (youtube is best). Then you can simply copy it across into your forum post.
Our forum is not part of social media and is run entirely by voluntary member donations. We all do this for free in our free time. We do however think that the advantages of having total control over our friendly little place is worth some trade-offs. :)

We are UK based so our forum downtime is ahead of you during your evening. You may have to wait for answers until the next day.

PS: For your own online safety and to help us tailor any advice to what is relevant for your country, I would recommend that you change your location to your state. You can do that by clicking on your username on the top bar and then go to location in your account details.
Thank you so so much

Hey, my guinea pig seem to be doing fine but I found this in one of their treat bowls does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_4611.webp
    IMG_4611.webp
    17 KB · Views: 5
Yesss! We listened to all of your kind words, they have had hay, hay, and more hay. When they were not drinking we gave them lettuce and made sure it was wet to keep them hydrated. Today makes day 5 since our scary learning experience and both piggies are great 🙏 running playing, eating like crazy. I’m thankful for this group and each of you to help us feel better when we were so stressed!

Don’t worry about their drinking. The need to drink comes before the need to eat so if they are eating then they are definitely drinking!
They will drink as much as they need to and that amount varies from hardly anything to a lot for some piggies!

Do note that if you give them additional watery veg then you will find they will drink even less from the bottle.

Yesss! We listened to all of your kind words, they have had hay, hay, and more hay. When they were not drinking we gave them lettuce and made sure it was wet to keep them hydrated. Today makes day 5 since our scary learning experience and both piggies are great 🙏 running playing, eating like crazy. I’m thankful for this group and each of you to help us feel better when we were so stressed!

That is great news. thank you for your feedback. Very often, we never hear back or get to know the outcome. :love:

Don’t worry about their drinking. The need to drink comes before the need to eat so if they are eating then they are definitely drinking!
They will drink as much as they need to and that amount varies from hardly anything to a lot for some piggies!

Do note that if you give them additional watery veg then you will find they will drink even less from the bottle.

Thank you so so much

Thank you all so much it’s been A couple weeks since that fateful day and they’re both. Better then ever I thought they were going to die but they made a full recovery for everyone wondering again, thank you all so much

Attachments

• IMG_4661.webp
    IMG_4661.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 1
Thank you all so much it’s been A couple weeks since that fateful day and they’re both. Better then ever I thought they were going to die but they made a full recovery for everyone wondering again, thank you all so much

Glad that they are thriving! :love:

We are here as a community as well as for questions. You are welcome to hang out in our Chat sections and start your own little blog thread about your piggies and how they get on. If you do, best bookmark the thread so you can pick it up again easily whenever needed. It's always nice to be able to follow forum piggies through a life.

Of course, we are always here for any of the little things that you run into because you cannot anticipate them. We do welcome them. There are plenty of other people who dare not ask but would like to know. 'Silly' questions are usually anything but and they are part of the normal learning process. There have been quite a few people avidly reading this thread because of their own worries and there will be more in the future. ;)

Glad to hear a positive update.
You can relax now.
Some people recommend a glass of wine but I always go for coffee and chocolate

Back