Help! New to bonding - what age piggie should we get?

bethbee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We sadly recently lost one of our much-loved piggies so are trying to find a friend for our remaining sow who is 3. I have been looking at rescues and likely have the option of a neutered baby boar or a sow who is also 3 and recently bereaved.

We are new to bonding pigs, is there an obvious answer as to which we should go for?

Thanks for any advice

We sadly recently lost one of our much-loved piggies so are trying to find a friend for our remaining sow who is 3. I have been looking at rescues and likely have the option of a neutered baby boar or a sow who is also 3 and recently bereaved.

We are new to bonding pigs, is there an obvious answer as to which we should go for?

Thanks for any advice

Hi

The problem with adopting on spec is that you can never predict the dynamics when piggies come face to face. I have all to often had a big fail with what on paper looked a perfect match and had to go down to plan D or even E with the trickiest of my piggies. When they were able to rescue date they would not rarely choose a mate that was not quite the obvious choice. Of course, I have also had a number of instances over the years where my personal favourite did work out.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

We simply cannot tell you which piggy your sow will vibe best, either or neither. You will never know before you see them together. If you bond yourself at home, you have to make sure that you have a plan B at the ready in case it doesn't work out.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

If I was in your position I would try first with the 3 year old sow and then go from there, the reasoning being the similar age. You can always ask about doing the meeting at the rescue before taking anyone home.

Good luck with whatever you chose, I hope it all goes well x
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)
thank you for the advice, fingers crossed!

Back