• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help needed!

aaliyahjay123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a boy Guinea pig and for the past week I have noticed him constantly scratching himself causing hair loss and wounds, he has also began screeching when we scratches and has what I describe as a mini seizure when he scratches, I have washed him constantly, we have bought mite shampoo and care set but not much has changed.
He used to constantly scratch however right now he is only on a puppy pad to sleep on which has led to him barely scratching himself, we are not sure if he has become allergic to the bath mat in his cage?
Does anyone have any advice or have experienced anything like this ?

Please see a vet for diagnosis and correct treatment.
Mange mites can cause seizures.

Please don’t bathe him - it will hide evidence a vet needs to diagnose and treat according. But also
bathing with mite shampoo won’t help much - he needs the correct medication prescribed and dosed according to his weight and and in the correct length course.

Please see a vet for diagnosis and correct treatment.
Mange mites can cause seizures.

Please don’t bathe him - it will hide evidence a vet needs to diagnose and treat according. But also
bathing with mite shampoo won’t help much - he needs the correct medication prescribed and dosed according to his weight and and in the correct length course.
Thank you! I have to piggies so how come only the one might have the mites and the other doesn’t ?

Hi, took him to the vet 2 days ago and they gave me some antibiotics for him, however now he is really losing a lot of hair, is that normal after getting antibiotics?

Sometimes the immune system of one isn’t strong enough to fight them off.
They will possibly both need to be treated should mites be diagnosed.
Do see a vet though.

This guide further explains along with the disinfection measures needed
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights
Hi, took him to the vet 2 days ago and they gave me some antibiotics for him, however now he is really losing a lot of hair, is that normal after getting antibiotics?

No it’s not normal purely because of antibiotics.

If he has mites and isn’t being treated for them then the issue will get worse. Antibiotics will cure any infected wounds but it won’t kill any mites.
Equally should it turn out to be a fungal infection then mite treatment won’t help that either.
He needs a proper diagnosis.

What have they actually said is wrong him with?
What checks have been done?
Are they knowledgeable with piggies?

No it’s not normal purely because of antibiotics.

If he has mites and isn’t being treated for them then the issue will get worse. Antibiotics will cure any infected wounds but it won’t kill any mites.
Equally should it turn out to be a fungal infection then mite treatment won’t help that either.
He needs a proper diagnosis.

What have they actually said is wrong him with?
What checks have been done?
Are they knowledgeable with piggies?
They have given him baytril

ah, he was also given at the vets a parasite dod of cream I think on the back of his neck

What was it - is it s product called Xeno?

The proper course to treat mites is three separate Xeno treatments with two weeks between each treatment (so it takes six weeks to fully deal with mites). Have they given the rest of the course to complete at home or do you have to take him back? If it was Xeno then one treatment isn’t enough

Yeah I am supposed to go back in two weeks, but the vet just said a check up then to see how things are going !

Yeah I am supposed to go back in two weeks, but the vet just said a check up then to see how things are going !

If he isn’t getting the next treatment in two weeks time then he won’t have been treated properly And you will need to start all over again.

Was it Xeno he was given?
if it was then he needs more treatments appropriately spaced apart

Back