Help needed

YesnessPetz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am really worried about my guinea pig, Solly. All he eats are carrots and lettuce. He will not eat any vegetables. I have tried to introduce them slowly, but it didn’t work. Solly doesn’t have any guinea pig friends because I am not allowed to get another one. Is it because he is lonely, picky, or sick? I really need help from you guinea pig experts.

Hi there 😊 I really! Recommend getting another piggie for Solly guinea pigs need to be in pairs or herds but since he is a boar he will need either another boar or getting him fixed and adopting a sow, they can get quite depressed without a companion even if you spend all the time in the world with them it’s not the same as having another piggie friend to interact with ☺️
If you can adopt another boar check if there are any rescues around so you can do dating it’s when you bring your piggie and see if they get along with another piggie and if they do you can adopt them, but you will need to edit your cage if it’s too small for two piggies, if you adopt another boar them you would look at around 2 metres long and a metre wide ☺️

And with his food if he is looking a bit poorly best take him too the vet better safe then sorry

How old is he?
How long have you had him?

Hay is the most important part of the diet. A variety of veg is needed to give them all their nutritional needs but piggies also learn what to eat from each other. If he is alone, then he doesn’t have somebody to help him decide what is safe to eat.

Please do look to get him another boar friend. They are highly social animals and should not be kept by themselves.

Please do cut back on the carrots if you are currently feeding them regularly. They are too high in sugar to be fed regularly - they should only have one very small amount and only once per week

if you think he could be ill, then he needs to see a vet.
ensure you weigh him every week as routine care so you can be sure he is eating enough hay

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Companionship

How old is he?
How long have you had him?

Hay is the most important part of the diet. A variety of veg is needed to give them all their nutritional needs but piggies also learn what to eat from each other. If he is alone, then he doesn’t have somebody to help him decide what is safe to eat.

Please do look to get him another boar friend. They are highly social animals and should not be kept by themselves.

Please do cut back on the carrots if you are currently feeding them regularly. They are too high in sugar to be fed regularly - they should only have one very small amount and only once per week

if you think he could be ill, then he needs to see a vet.
ensure you weigh him every week as routine care so you can be sure he is eating enough hay

A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Companionship
He is three years old and I have had him for three years. Thank you for the advice!

Hi there 😊 I really! Recommend getting another piggie for Solly guinea pigs need to be in pairs or herds but since he is a boar he will need either another boar or getting him fixed and adopting a sow, they can get quite depressed without a companion even if you spend all the time in the world with them it’s not the same as having another piggie friend to interact with ☺️
If you can adopt another boar check if there are any rescues around so you can do dating it’s when you bring your piggie and see if they get along with another piggie and if they do you can adopt them, but you will need to edit your cage if it’s too small for two piggies, if you adopt another boar them you would look at around 2 metres long and a metre wide ☺️

And with his food if he is looking a bit poorly best take him too the vet better safe then sorry
Thank you for the advice!

Back