Help My Guineas Had Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadiewright95

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, I bought three guinea pigs from the pet shop I was told they were all girls but after having them home for a month I discovered one was male. my two female guineas had 4 babies between them I'm not sure what to do with them I am not sure how to sex them or when to move them. I have obviously moved the male pig out. I never bought the guinea pigs to breed they were meant for pets.
any advice would be appreciated

Oh no... thats a bit of a shock for you ! Someone more experienced on here will point you in the right direction.

Gosh ! What a shock ! You've done the right thing separating the male. I am sure our pregnancy expert will answer this thread. She may be busy today so please be patient.

Where are you located ? We have members from all over the world. If you can add whether you are in the UK/US or elsewhere -that'd help with our advice - and County if you are happy to.

it was a shock complained to pet shop. I am from perth scotland. not sure if I should keep, sell or give the babies to pet shop?

I'd keep them but I'd have 7 guineas slightly more than I wanted.
no pet shop said they will take the babies and give me some things to help perk the mothers up. nothing about looking in to why I was sold a male and told it was female

I'm assuming at least one of the babies will be male, could I try pairing it up with the dad so he's not alone or will they fight?

In an ideal world , I would agree with Kerrie as , giving these guinea pigs back would mean they will be on the market for other people to have the same problem as you.
In an ideal world, I'd be advising you to seek the support of a local rescue . Of course you can't keep all these guinea pigs -so, some will need to be rehomed.
Please be patient . Your priority is that Mother and babies are healthy.
I expect a forum member will be able to advise if there is a rescue local to you.

I'm assuming at least one of the babies will be male, could I try pairing it up with the dad so he's not alone or will they fight?
We have seen some Father and son boar pairs working very well.
You will also be getting some help on how to sex your new arrivals in due coarse

Forgot to add that the separating baby boars thread has some links to help with sexing your babies

I'm sure there a boy and a girl but two I just can't tell. the babies were born around three days apart but three from the same littler seem an awful lot smaller is that normal?

I'm sure there a boy and a girl but two I just can't tell. the babies were born around three days apart but three from the same littler seem an awful lot smaller is that normal?

If one pig has had 3 babies and the other one only had one then yes I would expect the mum who had multiple births to have had smaller babies. Have you weighed them at all? I am not experienced with babies but if you can post up how many days old they are and their individual weights then maybe someone with experience would be kind enough to hopefully put your mind at ease

hi, I bought three guinea pigs from the pet shop I was told they were all girls but after having them home for a month I discovered one was male. my two female guineas had 4 babies between them I'm not sure what to do with them I am not sure how to sex them or when to move them. I have obviously moved the male pig out. I never bought the guinea pigs to breed they were meant for pets.
any advice would be appreciated

Hi and welcome!

I am ever so sorry for your shock; sadly it is not at all rare. @Lady Kelly has already given you our information links.

Could you please answer these questions:
- how old are the babies?
- do you know who is the mum of which baby (sows bring babies up between them, so they will let the babies of another sow drink)?
- have you weighed your babies yet? If they are below 60g, we can give you tips on what you can do to boost their weight. As we have members from all over the world, we find metric measurements work best for us.
- you need to separate any baby boys by around three weeks old (depending on their development). At least you have got dad to put them with at first, so this is going to be a lot less painful than if you had to leave a single baby on its own.
Here is the best sexing link, but you are also welcome to post pictures of the genitals (the clearer the better) on here. http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

It would be very helpful if you please added your country, state or (for the UK) your county to your details, as we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is realistically possible and available where you are and explore the options that are valid for you. This especially in view of what to do with dad and depending on the gender of the babies and where you can complain about the shop. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Last edited:
I know what baby belongs to who yea. the bigger guinea baby is 2 weeks today and the three smaller ones are 2 weeks on Tuesday.
I haven't weighed them yet as the pet shop told me not to touch them was also told not to clean out their cage but I had to clean it out after 4 days.
I will try take pictures of them soon it's hard to keep them still

better pictures of them

They are very cute!

You may not want to clean out on the day of the birth (just do a spot clean), but anytime after is perfectly fine!

It would be good if weighed them all and also if you tried to sex them, as your big baby may face separation soon if it turns out to be a boy.

My guinea pig Daryl, has had many litters of babies. What's best is to remove the father as soon as possible, as he can inpregnant the mother yet again. Feed them, especially the mother, many fruits and vegetables. At about 3 weeks, you can find the sex of the guinea pigs, and remove the males as they can also inpregnant the mother and its siblings. Also make sure to take the babies out a lot as they get older, as you want them to get used to human contact. Best of luck! :-)

does anyone want to rehome two of the babies? they are female and the last two in the pictures? I was able to sex them once they got a little bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back