Help my guinea pig put on weight

Dwarfpotato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Tico has been diagnosed with bladder sludge, but seems to be recovering with a low calcium diet (soft water, few pellets). However she has lost some weight - from 870g to 820g over the course of a few weeks. I'd like to help her put on a bit of weight but I can't seem to see anything that's low calcium, low in oxalates, not acidic and will help her gain weight. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's a gratuitous photo of her enjoying her cuddle cup, which she refused to use until I added a "roof"!

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_122548981.webp
    IMG_20210518_122548981.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 10
I’m sorry to hear your girl has been diagnosed with bladder sludge but I’m glad the low calcium diet and filtered water are helping.

It’s more difficult for a piggy to gain weight than it is for them to lose it but plain porridge oats are good to feed as is a little sweet potato and sweet corn on the cob / mini corn

Thanks for the help! I read that porridge oats have oxalates, or are they low enough that it's ok even for a bladder piggy? Tico is pretty adamant oats aren't food but I'll try mixing them with sweet potato.

I’m not sure to be honest but yes, definitely try the sweet potato and sweet corn. Some people also give critical care with a bit of mashed banana mixed in. Some piggies will eat it from a bowl or spoon

Gaining weight takes a lot longer than losing it does, and In reality the healthiest way is to be eating lots of hay and she will regain it in her own time.
You can give porridge oats to help but it’s just a small amount.
Any sweetcorn or root veg, or fruit needs to be kept limited due to the sugars.

:agr:

Hope your girl starts to improve soon. My boy lost lots of weight when he had his sludge removed (via catheter) and the vet explained that even when the sludge has gone, the lining of the bladder remains sore for a while due to the irritation of the sludge against the sensitive tissue. My boy then did well on daily Cystease and a low calcium diet. He did have a small handful of porridge oats once a day to help with weight gain.

Back