• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

HELP ME - piggy not eating and facing wall

Lilli

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig has been behaving strangely. She hasn’t been taking her vitamins, she has a powder sprinkled on her food and she always eats it but she isn’t now. She’s been leaving some nuggets as well. She keeps sitting in corners, facing the walls. And her poop pellets have been half the size and thinner. She isn’t drinking as much water. She’s been really skittish and scared of everyone recently. She’s normally very social but now she hides and avoids everyone. I think she may have lost some weight but I don’t own any scales to be sure.

My guinea pig has been behaving strangely. She hasn’t been taking her vitamins, she has a powder sprinkled on her food and she always eats it but she isn’t now. She’s been leaving some nuggets as well. She keeps sitting in corners, facing the walls. And her poop pellets have been half the size and thinner. She isn’t drinking as much water. She’s been really skittish and scared of everyone recently. She’s normally very social but now she hides and avoids everyone. I think she may have lost some weight but I don’t own any scales to be sure.

Hi!

Please have your guinea pig vet checked ASAP as an emergency!
She is seriously ill and likely in pain/discomfort.
You can only get her better the sooner she is getting the appropriate diagnosis and medication.

The thinner poops are proof that your piggy has not been eating and likely not been drinking as much as she should for at least 1-2 days because that is as long as it takes for food to pass through the body.

Please carefully read and follow the detailed advice in this guide link for keeping your piggy alive with careful syringe feed and watering (no squirting into the mouth when she is not ready to swallow; the guide link tells you exactly what and how to feed) until you can see a vet for the soonest and until the medication is kicking in and your piggy is able to hold her weight and regain it.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

This needs an emergency vet visit... a pig who is hunched up, socially withdrawn, and not eating is a pig giving signs that he or she is ill, in pain, or both. Since pigs are good at hiding illness, by the time you notice they are struggling, and they can go downhill quickly. The post above gives you information on syringe-feeding in an emergency, but please, get her an appointment with a vet who is accustomed to seeing guinea pigs and small animals as soon as you can!

Back