• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help me! Guinea pig dont eat anymore

Iriss

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have a problem with my guinea pig. A week ago, she started to pee with blood and having pain. She didn;t eat or eat. I went to the vet, he gave her antibiotics and she made a radiography, an ecography. She doesnt have bladder stones but he said that she have ovaryan cyst. For 5 days he gave her antibiotics.
She dont eat or drink alone, I feed her with a syringe, she goes to the food, smells it but doesn t eat.
I asked the vet to give her vitamins, something for hydration to become stronger but he wants to operate it. What can I do?
Do you think the problem with eating is because of the cysts? She isnt in pain anymore.
I want to save her, what can I do? I dont know how to add the images from her radiography and ecography.

I know that she must take probiotics but the vet didnt gave me any...
How can I make her eat because I love her so so so so much!

Other health experts will be along later, however you may find some of guides helpful in syringe feeding which isn’t always easy.
You may also want to place a small dish of the Critical Care in her cage, a bit of mashed banana added in was always a favourite with mine.

Is she going to have surgery for the cysts ?

Holding you in my heart ♥️

Hello, I have a problem with my guinea pig. A week ago, she started to pee with blood and having pain. She didn;t eat or eat. I went to the vet, he gave her antibiotics and she made a radiography, an ecography. She doesnt have bladder stones but he said that she have ovaryan cyst. For 5 days he gave her antibiotics.
She dont eat or drink alone, I feed her with a syringe, she goes to the food, smells it but doesn t eat.
I asked the vet to give her vitamins, something for hydration to become stronger but he wants to operate it. What can I do?
Do you think the problem with eating is because of the cysts? She isnt in pain anymore.
I want to save her, what can I do? I dont know how to add the images from her radiography and ecography.

These are results from radiography

Attachments

• PETUNIA1.webp
    PETUNIA1.webp
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PETUNIA.webp
    PETUNIA.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 1

Hi

What antibiotic has your guinea pig been on and at what dosage? 5 days is very short for a potential urinary tract infection. Some antibiotics can kill the appetite. I doubt that the ovarian cyst is the appetite killer but there can be something else going on. How old is your sow?

How much are you feeding and watering her in a day? Can you please check round the ribs whether your piggy is underweight or not? (body mass index or BMI) so you can see whether you need to feed more. You offer your piggy as much water by syringe as they will take it if they do not eat at all, about ever 2-4 syringefuls of fibrous feed. With a guinea pig not eating at all, you need to feed 60-90 ml of fibrous mixture in 24 hours. Keep in mind that over three quarters of what a guinea pig is eating in a day is hay/grass fibre. What are you currently feeding your girl?

Here is our syringe feeding and medicating guide with pictures and and videos.

You can find information on ovarian cysts in this guide here:

Here is our information for any problems connected to the urinary tract.

So sorry your piggy is so poorly. I have no advice but just wanted to wish you both good luck and fingers crossed she recovers whether you go for surgery or not 🤞❤️

Have you tried offering her fresh grass, or herbs like basil and coriander? Piggies often love them. Perhaps some mashed banana or some porridge oats?

I hope she gets better soon ❤️

Hi

What antibiotic has your guinea pig been on and at what dosage? 5 days is very short for a potential urinary tract infection. Some antibiotics can kill the appetite. I doubt that the ovarian cyst is the appetite killer but there can be something else going on. How old is your sow?

How much are you feeding and watering her in a day? Can you please check round the ribs whether your piggy is underweight or not? (body mass index or BMI) so you can see whether you need to feed more. You offer your piggy as much water by syringe as they will take it if they do not eat at all, about ever 2-4 syringefuls of fibrous feed. With a guinea pig not eating at all, you need to feed 60-90 ml of fibrous mixture in 24 hours. Keep in mind that over three quarters of what a guinea pig is eating in a day is hay/grass fibre. What are you currently feeding your girl?

Here is our syringe feeding and medicating guide with pictures and and videos.

You can find information on ovarian cysts in this guide here:

Here is our information for any problems connected to the urinary tract.
Hello! The vet didn t want to tell me what antibiotic he gave her, I went for five days and he made her an injection. She wants to eat, smells the food but after that she goes away. She is 5 years old. I feed her mashed pellets, water, carrot juice and water

Hello! The vet didn t want to tell me what antibiotic he gave her, I went for five days and he made her an injection. She wants to eat, smells the food but after that she goes away. She is 5 years old. I feed her mashed pellets, water, carrot juice and water

How much are you feeding her? A guinea pig that is eating neither veg and pellets (ca. 20% of the daily food intake) and hay (c. 80% ) needs about 60 milliliters of the food mix plus water.

The most likely antibiotic is baytril (enrofloxacin), which is known for also affecting the digestive gut bacteria and able to cause loss of appetite or there is something else going on inside that the antibiotic is not working on.

All you can do is hang on in there and keep feeding. I am very sorry. I know hard and frustrating it is.

HUGS

How much are you feeding her? A guinea pig that is eating neither veg and pellets (ca. 20% of the daily food intake) and hay (c. 80% ) needs about 60 milliliters of the food mix plus water.

The most likely antibiotic is baytril (enrofloxacin), which is known for also affecting the digestive gut bacteria and able to cause loss of appetite or there is something else going on inside that the antibiotic is not working on.

All you can do is hang on in there and keep feeding. I am very sorry. I know hard and frustrating it is.

HUGS
Do you know if I should buy this Fibreplex Protexin Fibreplex for Rabbits and Herbivores 15ml for her or Rodicare acut? Are these any good?

Do you know if I should buy this Fibreplex Protexin Fibreplex for Rabbits and Herbivores 15ml for her or Rodicare acut? Are these any good?
If your piggy has loss of appetite due to an antibiotic such as enrofloxacin, then yes, Fibreplex is a good probiotic supplement to give her. It is designed to help repopulate the gut with the healthy bacteria it needs.
Rodicare may be similar but I've not used it myself.

Back