Help in how to clean their accessories

naguya

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

I am still new to guinea pig world. I have been using some plastic and wood kind accessories and they were easy to clean, but the soft beds/hidings/pillows arrived and came with no instructions how to wash them! I already searched on internet and I got multiple answers on how to clean them.

I know we need to soak them, but for how long and with what product?

Please, help me! 😊

IMG_20240728_185744765_HDR.jpgIMG_20240728_185739717_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_185747608_HDR.webp
    IMG_20240728_185747608_HDR.webp
    57 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240728_185741959_HDR.webp
    IMG_20240728_185741959_HDR.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240728_185736188_HDR.webp
    IMG_20240728_185736188_HDR.webp
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
I don't soak mine. I wash in a pet blanket wash bag in the machine on 30 or 40. I don't use a hotter wash as it tends to make any padding lumpy! Instead of a very hot wash I use an in wash liquid disinfectant or Nappy San.

I don't soak mine. I wash in a pet blanket wash bag in the machine on 30 or 40. I don't use a hotter wash as it tends to make any padding lumpy! Instead of a very hot wash I use an in wash liquid disinfectant or Nappy San.
Thank you! I also was in a doubt if I could use some disinfectant or not!

I don't know what you have available in Brazil but here we have supermarket own brands or Dettol laundry disinfectant.

I don't know what you have available in Brazil but here we have supermarket own brands or Dettol laundry disinfectant.
Thank you!

We got similar brands in Brazil! Since I am currently out of my home (currently at apartment because of university in another city) I don't have a washing machine yet so I am soaking haha. I just washed it using disinfectant and another liquid to make clothes clean (I made sure it is safe to guinea pigs) and I left 15 minutes soaking. Currently it is drying on the clothesline!

I think everything is doing alright! First time washing these accessories!

Washing anything for guineas pigs is always a learning curve. The general rule is if its suitable for babies (non-bio, good for sensitive skin and has little to no fragrance) you should be alright. Adding a splash of white vinegar can help if you struggle to get rid of any odour. If I'm totally honest, I rarely disinfect the pig laundry, but when I do I either use F10 or detol laundry cleanser (or similar). Line drying is always preferred if you can do it as it can help odours and helps prevent shrinkage and wear/damage of the material.

I find using white vinegar helps keep everything soft and fluffy. I use it instead of fabric conditioner. It's also good for cleaning the cage when diluted.

I also use white vinegar and I think it helps the fleece to wick thoroughly
I use a pet wash bag with non bio washing liquid and white vinegar in the conditioner section at a temp of 30/40
All odour goes and everything is fresh and clean

I used non bio washing liquid, liquid detergent and something similar in liquid form to nappy san and also water. Next time should I add vinegar or remove something when soaking?

The cage I am currently cleaning with vinegar diluted in water.

The white vinegar helps to dissolve any remaining detergent,has natural antibacterial properties and helps deal with any odours. I add it to the rinse water in my guinea pig laundry

Back