Help Identifying Vocalization

mkc1911

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m new here, and new to owning guinea pigs. I’ll skip over everything that led to me getting him (I’ll post about that in the introduction forums) and just say that a week ago, I got an unaltered male guinea pig, no idea on his age. He’s adapted quite well, seems very calm (unless his flight instinct kicks in). Extremely sweet and gentle and affectionate, has absolutely zero problem with being handled. I do have a question, though.

As I’ve been getting to know him, I’ve been looking up all the sounds he makes to see what they mean; however, there is one sound he’s started making that I can’t seem to find an explanation of. It started a few days ago. Every time I put him back in his cage after we have cuddle time (several times a day, usually), he makes this cooing sound, like a dove. Sometimes just once, but he usually makes it three or four times before settling down. He has also made the sound a few times while being petted, but it’s mostly when I end our interaction and put him back. Does anyone know what this means? Thanks for your help.

Does it sound like he needs to be oiled? Sort of mumbley squeaks?

Mine make all sorts of noises, I tend to go more by their body language. For example, George is a definite lap pig. There are times when he is on my lap and having a right old whinge. If I was just listening to him I would think he wanted to get off but I can see and feel how relaxed he is so I reckon he is telling me about Boris taking the last bit of cucumber or something.

I finally found the answer at this website (Guinea pig noises and their meanings - ExoticDirect) in case anyone else wanted to know.

“Cooing: This is a sign of affection, and Guinea pigs will do it for humans they love and for their babies.”

This surprises me, since I’ve only had him a week. I didn’t think he’d be particularly attached to me yet.

No, the place I bought him from said he did NOT do well with other guinea pigs. They’d had to keep him in the back because he couldn’t get along with ANY of the others. I think the others were bullying him.

I am not one of the experts but it sounds like he may be transferring his affections/needs to you. There is an advice thread but I don't know how to link. I'll tag some of the more informed members for you. @Wiebke , @Piggies&buns , @BossHogg

No good asking me, I'm a married man, I just do as I'm told! 🤣🤣🤣

I honestly don’t think he’s even seen another guinea pig in a very long time. They said he’d been in the shop for months and months without anyone taking him, and they isolated him from the others because of the fighting/bullying. He’s only interacted with humans since then (they said he was given frequent daily attention by the employees, so he must’ve been extremely used to people; he had zero problems interacting with me the same day I took him home.)

Hi

It is great that he found you.

The problem with vocalisations described by humans is that the perception and interpretation varies enormously.
You are always welcome to upload a video on a public setting elsewhere that doesn't require a members log in (youtube would great) and copy it across into a thread so we have more independent access and can interpret the sound together with the body language in its situational meaning. Our forum runs on voluntary member donations and we do not have a video uploading facility.

Here is our Singles Care guide thread: Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

I am sure that your boy will enjoy the attention but you also need to be able to work out how to stop him when he wants you round the clock (attention seeking) at some stage. Guinea pigs don't do 'no'.
Who is the Boss - Your Guinea Pig or You?

Both guides are part of our New Owners collection: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back