HELP i dont know if my guinea pig is lost or hiding

santa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i dont know which category to post this in sorry
one of my guinea pig was hiding behind a shed in our backyard for hours and will not come out. we got all the other pigs out but this one just will not come out. we have tried luring him out with vegetables and poking something through the gap to push him out the other side, but he wont come out and we cant even see him when we shine a torch into there. the space is just tight enough for a guinea pig to squish through so we cant go in and take him out.

the guinea pigs home is on the balcony and this was the first time we let them run around in our backyard, and obviously we looked around first before letting them out that there was nothing dangerous and no tight spaces or holes for them to escape, but they pushed through the leaves and wood and before we knew it they were in a tight space behind the shed that we didnt even know was there. and since we cant see him even when we shine a flashlight I'm scared something happened to him or he squished under the fence and is lost now. i dont know what to do and i feel like a really bad guinea pig owner and i really hope he is safe and we find him soon :(

I’m sorry to hear piggy has gone AWOL. Try putting a box there with bedding from their hutch, some hay and veg and see if he will be lured by that.

Is it possible to somehow cut the grass etc that’s growing there so you can see better?

Hope he makes an appearance soon.

I’m sorry to hear piggy has gone AWOL. Try putting a box there with bedding from their hutch, some hay and veg and see if he will be lured by that.

Is it possible to somehow cut the grass etc that’s growing there so you can see better?

Hope he makes an appearance soon.
yes i already have put the box he likes to sit in outside the hole with some food as well for many hours, and it is raining right now :(

there is no grass behind the shed and only really thick and spiky brown vines hanging from the top of the fence packed really tightly in the whole space behind the shed so I'm not sure if it is cuttable :( we tried fishing him out with a really long fishing rod earlier and golf sticks and also a strong wind blower but he is either hiding under the vines and leaves or not even there anymore.. and the place he is in is really dark and full of spiders and beetles and flies so I'm really worried something bad will happen. its also 1 am right now and i CANT sleep because i am so worried about him:(

and thank you so much for replying!

Hopefully the used bedding and hay/veg will lure him out. Let us know how you get on.

I’m so sorry to hear this :( Other than putting a box or carrier full of used hay and his favourite veggies near the hole, I don’t think there’s much else you can do. I hope he comes home soon

Aww sorry to hear this, I hope he comes out soon, hope he’s ok, fingers crossed 🤞

Hi!

I am very sorry. Unfortunately, guinea pigs will find any nook and cranny; and they will not come out if hunt for them.
Use a covered cardboard box that you have wiped with the scent of heir companions and that is filled with hay and his/her favourite veg close by the shed and then leave the vicinity and be very quiet for a long time. DO NOT pounce back as soon as your piggy is back in the box but come slowly and softly once they have had time to stuff their belly and fall asleep.

Please follow the tips in this link here, which deals with escapees: Keeping Piggies Safe during outdoor time

Here is more information on how prey animal instincts work in guinea pigs because you now have to work around them: Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Please also be aware that a balcony is not an ideal place to keep guinea pigs during winter or summer as they are very much exposed to the extremes of weather. Guinea pigs have evolved in the thick undergrowth of the South American grasslands and go out to their feeding grounds in the mornings and evenings when temperatures are at their most moderate. They can both die from exposure to cold and wet weather/storms and very much so from exposure to heat at much lower temperatures that you would expect.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Hi, just checking to see if you are ok, did piggie turn up?

I hope you managed to get piggy back home safe. Do let us know either way. Got everything 🤞🏾

thank you so much for your worry everyone
today is the 6th day he was missing, and when i looked outside the window to the backyard i saw all the vegetables i left out had been eaten! so i went to check where he was last seen and thank goodness he was still there! it took hours to get him to come out but he finally came out and we put him back with the other pigs. thankfully he looked fine and not injured, and all the pigs were so happy to see him back. i am so happy and thank you everyone for your worry about him.
:hug:

Amazing! To hear, so glad you got him back, wow that’s a relief, glad they are all back together and the little one is not hurt or injured, you can now breath phew

Thank Goodness he's safe and his adventures are over. Are you going to take him to the vet just to make sure he came to no harm?

Fabulous news that he’s been reunited with his friends.

Glad to hear he’s back safe and sound. Please ensure when they’re on the lawn that they can’t escape. They must enjoy the run around but will need to be ‘contained’ in future.

By the way, if they’re not used to eating grass they’ll need to be introduced to it gradually.

Go enjoy having your boy back! 😊

Back