Help! Getting A New Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavyloverxox

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hiii so Ive been on the forum for a month now, I actually posted this thread earlier today but no one replied, I think I posted it in the wrong bit, anyway, I have a guinea pig gus, I've had him for a good few weeks now and he's so shy, he's still settling in, he lives in a ferplast 120 cage and he's just under 20 weeks old, I got him alone and I'm now getting him a friend, from my local rspca, I'm going to get a boy, but should I get a young one or old one? And how should I introduce them? I only have one cage and don't have space and money for another

Unfortunately you can't predict whether pigs will like each other so ages don't really matter. Some think it's better to have pigs who are different ages so they don't go through their difficult "teenage" times at the same time.

I don't want to sound awful but if you don't have the money or space for another cage then do you have the money and space for a new pig?

As the cage you have is quite small I would suggest that you adopt from a rescue that will offer boar dating to you. They will find the best matchs and bond them for you, then they're less likely to fall out.

Good luck

Hi! Sorry that you haven't got an answer. It can happen that on a busy day with lots of alerts one can be overlooked.

Age is immaterial; the key to any good boar bond is character compatibility - ideally with an age difference so you don't have two boars going through the teenage hormones at the same time.

I would rather ask whether they have a laid-back adult or a submissive baby boar.

As to intros, you may find our detailed guides helpful. Take the time to read through them, so you have an idea what to expect and how to best set things up. If you don;t have much space, you can use your bathtub as a neutral space for introduction. Just make sure that nobody else is planning to use it for a day or two.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.

Hi! Sorry that you haven't got an answer. It can happen that on a busy day with lots of alerts one can be overlooked.

Age is immaterial; the key to any good boar bond is character compatibility - ideally with an age difference so you don't have two boars going through the teenage hormones at the same time.

I would rather ask whether they have a laid-back adult or a submissive baby boar.

As to intros, you may find our detailed guides helpful. Take the time to read through them, so you have an idea what to expect and how to best set things up. If you don;t have much space, you can use your bathtub as a neutral space for introduction. Just make sure that nobody else is planning to use it for a day or two.
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Thanks for replying, what age roughly do they go through the teenage stage?

Unfortunately you can't predict whether pigs will like each other so ages don't really matter. Some think it's better to have pigs who are different ages so they don't go through their difficult "teenage" times at the same time.

I don't want to sound awful but if you don't have the money or space for another cage then do you have the money and space for a new pig?

As the cage you have is quite small I would suggest that you adopt from a rescue that will offer boar dating to you. They will find the best matchs and bond them for you, then they're less likely to fall out.

Good luck
I should save up and wait to get another pig, but I think it would be best to introduce them while they're still young, and I feel guilty he has no friend

Between 4-14 months of age, from the time their testicles start descending until they reach a hormonally more settled adulthood. All about the teenage months and how to judge whether boars still have a functioning relationship or not in this guide here: Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Would you say I should get an older guinea pig, there's one at my local pet shelter who's 2-3 years old

I was in the same situation! I had a piggy named Umi (boy) for about a month and I wanted another piggy to see if he would become more confident. I then adopted another boy named Kyper on Saturday. I introduced them by getting a large area of space with food and toys for them to run around in. I let them meet each other for about an hour and then put them in their cage for the night.

For the old or young guinea pig, My first pig, Umi, was 3 months old and my new one is 8 months old. They get along fine from what I know. They wheek and purr at each other and I have not seen signs of them fighting.

I was in the same situation! I had a piggy named Umi (boy) for about a month and I wanted another piggy to see if he would become more confident. I then adopted another boy named Kyper on Saturday. I introduced them by getting a large area of space with food and toys for them to run around in. I let them meet each other for about an hour and then put them in their cage for the night.

For the old or young guinea pig, My first pig, Umi, was 3 months old and my new one is 8 months old. They get along fine from what I know. They wheek and purr at each other and I have not seen signs of them fighting.
Thanks for your reply, that's great! I hope it goes as easy as that for me:xd:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back