• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Dry crumbly light color poop

Lsd3

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, one of my Guinea pigs is having very light color dry crumbly poop. The three ladies live together and I noticed the distinction yesterday. I had to isolate them three for a few hours to find out who is having it. Dolores is the one getting it, she is one year old and was recently on antibiotics for a very mild upper respiratory infection (nose had slight discharge and she was hooting 15 days ago) vet gave her antibiotics for 10 days, which got over on 10th June. We recently noticed this colored poop. I m very concerned going to the vet again tomorrow. Wanted to get advice here, tonight i syringe fed her 5 ml of water. She is eating hay, veggies (50gms a day - 25gms lettuce, 10 gm red pepper, 15gm cucumber), some days I’ll alter cucumber with parsley, cilantro, carrot, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli) and some Oxbow Garden select pellets 1/8 cup. She does drink but maybe not enough ? Is the poop of concern ? Could it be side effects of antibiotics but she has been off of it for 3 days and is cleared for any discharge or hooting. The good dark colored poop is other piggies.

Attachments

• C0AE102F-AF0D-410B-A77F-556D57E198E1.webp
    C0AE102F-AF0D-410B-A77F-556D57E198E1.webp
    41.1 KB · Views: 32
  • A2881EE3-28E8-44A1-A9C2-EA7F4112BCD7.webp
    A2881EE3-28E8-44A1-A9C2-EA7F4112BCD7.webp
    169.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 0D888342-4688-49F6-AABB-B404AAC9542C.webp
    0D888342-4688-49F6-AABB-B404AAC9542C.webp
    207.9 KB · Views: 32
Her poop do not look particularly abnormal, you may find your pigs poop will vary in colour and shape (to some extent) from time to time.
As they are a good size and fully formed I would not be worrying as of right now.

The antibiotics may have upset her stomach slightly but you would generally be looking at things such as bloat/diahorria, these just look like average poops.
I sometimes find my pigs poop are slightly different every now and again, maybe if this continues for say a week continually you may want to look into her diet/water intake but for now these seem fine.

Another thing may be if you have recently changed their diet. As for her water intake, do you have 2 bottles in the cage? Making sure they have access to multiple bottles can help with a piggy who is not drinking enough, incase one stopped working for example
All About Drinking And Bottles
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets

Last edited:
Hello, one of my Guinea pigs is having very light color dry crumbly poop. The three ladies live together and I noticed the distinction yesterday. I had to isolate them three for a few hours to find out who is having it. Dolores is the one getting it, she is one year old and was recently on antibiotics for a very mild upper respiratory infection (nose had slight discharge and she was hooting 15 days ago) vet gave her antibiotics for 10 days, which got over on 10th June. We recently noticed this colored poop. I m very concerned going to the vet again tomorrow. Wanted to get advice here, tonight i syringe fed her 5 ml of water. She is eating hay, veggies (50gms a day - 25gms lettuce, 10 gm red pepper, 15gm cucumber), some days I’ll alter cucumber with parsley, cilantro, carrot, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli) and some Oxbow Garden select pellets 1/8 cup. She does drink but maybe not enough ? Is the poop of concern ? Could it be side effects of antibiotics but she has been off of it for 3 days and is cleared for any discharge or hooting. The good dark colored poop is other piggies.

Hi

Since the poos are nice and fat, I would not worry much. They are still within the normal variance band; the microbiome can still be a bit impacted from the antibiotics.

Try some 'poo soup' (i.e. live healthy microbiome transfer from a companion not on medication, especially not on antibiotics) - once a day for three days. That is for free and ismore effective than a probiotic if done properly.
Here is the 'recipe' on how to go about it. It sounds more gross than it actually is: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Have you had any recent major weather/temperature changes recently? They can also influence the eating pattern.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Thank you for your replies, but I am still very concerned. It’s been a week like this now. I went to the vet 3 days ago, they said try the poo soup which we did it was her roommate’s Lucy. The vet said not to worry, However no change, in fact we noticed today the poops are breaking crumbing in the cage weird shape some of them. Here’s a pic of her poop (light colored) vs the healthy poop (her roomies)

Attachments

• 95D37588-5F10-40D2-95A9-010C4161EC22.webp
    95D37588-5F10-40D2-95A9-010C4161EC22.webp
    92.1 KB · Views: 18
Are they fed the same diet?
Is she still on any medication?

My only worry would be that she is not getting enough water, what do your girls drink from, bowls or bottles.

Hi Lsd3, I know this is an old thread but we are suffering from the exact same thing, your photos look identical!

Did you ever find out what it was?

Same diet, no medication.
They drink from 2 bottles
Hi Lsd3, I know this is an old thread but we are suffering from the exact same thing, your photos look identical!

Hi

The poster hasn't been active since this post. We get quite a lot of one-off visits, which is one of the reasons why we ask to please open your own thread.

Lighter poos can indicate a reduced intake of fresh veg.

Hi

The poster hasn't been active since this post. We get quite a lot of one-off visits, which is one of the reasons why we ask to please open your own thread.

Lighter poos can indicate a reduced intake of fresh veg.
Thank you! I will make my own thread

Back