• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! desmond seems very poorly

• Thread starter Thread starter EmmaJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EmmaJ

Hi guys,
I had Desmond neutred on Thursday and he has seemed fine. Today he has been very quiet and subdued and I gave hima handful of grass which he barely touched. This is absolutely unprecedented as he is so greedy. I got him out and he is very hot and shakey. Usually he won't sit still on me but he just lolled there and could barely support himself on his legs. He has had a brief nibble on a slice of cucumber but I really know there is something not right. His eyes look all glazed and he is not himself. I wonder if he has a temperature? is there anything i might have in the house that I can give him?
Please help. I will take him the vet tomorrow but I want to do something for him now.
Thanks

If I were you I would phone the vet to get advice pronto. Sounds like an infection. Have you checked his bits? Leaving him overnight if he is not drinking/eating could be very serious. I am sure others will advise you better, but on a Sunday at this time, I would try the emrgency vet number. Hope he is ok :(

His bits look fine and uninfected. He is drinking and he did eat a little this morning. You're right though, maybe I should ring the vet now. not sure it has an emergency number...

There is usually an answerphone message when they are closed with an emergency number. It wouldnt hurt to get advice from the vet over the phone. Let us know what happens O0

Agree, once guineas become ill it doesn't take them long to go down hill. Let us know what happens. :)

I've left a message on a mobile number so should get back to me....
Isn't there anything I can give him? aspirin type thing?

I would wait till the vet calls you back. As long as he is drinking for now...offer him some water in the meantime or a little cucumber.

Oh let us know what happens fingers crossed he will be ok i hope he is just having a off day! Digby was done last wednesday he has moments of quietness but is still eating. Did the vets give you any meds to give him? Is he pooing and weeing? What colour is his wee? I am keeping digby on white towels and cloths just to keep a eye on any blood etc.

lavenderjade said:
I would wait till the vet calls you back. As long as he is drinking for now...offer him some water in the meantime or a little cucumber.

Agree, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put something cold and something that will keep him warm at different ends of his enclosure. So he has a choice. Keep an eye on his temperature. O0

Thanks everyone. Have spoken to the vet and I am takinghim to the surgery at half 7. I can't afford the callout charge though so gonna have to put it on a credit card i guess. Dazie, the vets didn't give me any medicines for him when I had him done. He is on white towels and I haven't noticed anything strange regarding his wee... I will update you when I get back from the vet. I'm so worried.

Good luck! Digby is on baytril until tuesday so that will be one wheek of meds. I do hope he is ok!

Thank you. I know, why is it always a SUnday night when things go wrong. I have hours and hours worth of work to prepare before tomorrow too but I haven't even started!

Just having a cup of tea before setting out as the vet said not to be too early.

Aw, let us know as soon as possible how he is.
Poor little man

I will stay on too but I am having a glass of wine O0Lots of good vibes coming your way

We're back! The vet was lovely. Desmond is very swollen on one side and has an infection (not visible to me but she could feel it.) the poor little soldier had 2 injection and didn't even flinch cos he was so ill. antibiotics and a painkiller. She said he should perk up soon and I have to take him back tomorrow. She did say he is very ill though so please keep your fingers crossed.
we've just had 5mls of science recovery so that's a good sign.
I'm so glad you told me to go to the vets. I wouldn't have slept tonight. thnks everyone for the support. x

you did the right thing glad he has been seen to! Fingers crossed he will be ok! sending hugs! :smitten:
Give us a update tomorrow!

I am so glad you went to the vets O0He should perk up now. Been worried for him, poor fellow. Let us know how he is tomorrow :)

Well done for taking him tonight. Sorry to hear he is quite poorly but at least you have a good chance of bringing him back to health. These guineas are very good at hiding illness. :-\ Keep us informed. O0

EmmaJ said:
We're back! The vet was lovely. Desmond is very swollen on one side and has an infection (not visible to me but she could feel it.) the poor little soldier had 2 injection and didn't even flinch cos he was so ill. antibiotics and a painkiller. She said he should perk up soon and I have to take him back tomorrow. She did say he is very ill though so please keep your fingers crossed.
we've just had 5mls of science recovery so that's a good sign.
I'm so glad you told me to go to the vets. I wouldn't have slept tonight. thnks everyone for the support. x

Awwwh thats great news!
Fingers crossed for desmond!
Keep us informed! Science recovery is great stuff! O0

only just read this post and am so pleased you took him to the vets promptly and hope he makes a speedy recovery, do you keep a piggys medical box I do believe theres a list of thing to keep in it somewhere on here , if not buy peter Gurneys piggy potions book its amazing what he used for pigs health

I've just read this, i do hope little Desmond is OK this morning :-* :-* :-*
Your very good to have realised something was wrong with him, well done and i'm glad the vets gave him the injections they act so much quicker than meds O0

Morning,
Thanks to all those who are sending Desmond their get well vibes. This morning he is really quite bright. When i went down at 7am he didn't come out of his house and I feared the worst as I am used to being greeted by a chorus of wheeking as soon as they hear me. He is obviously still under the weather but he took his syringe of science recovery and even ate some lettuce by himself. His eyes look much brighter and he isn't too hot now. I have just booked him in to the vet at 3 this afternoon so perhaps she will give him more antibiotics. Poor Dexter next door doesn't know what is going on and sems to be pining for him. Hmmmph, if only he was this caring towards him without any metal bars inbetween!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back