• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! - Boar Arguement

• Thread starter Thread starter Sophie1307
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sophie1307

I went in the shed this morning and found Nellie in Winnie & Bumbles cage.
I have NO IDEA how this had happened. The shed door was shut, the cages were shut and I really, really can't work out how he got in the cage.
I looked in Winnie and Bumbles cage and there was blood on the correx, tunnel and on top of the box.
Winnie was sitting in the corner looking tired and bumble kept chattering.
I lifted the box and Nellie was inside.
We got him out and there was dried blood around his mouth. From what I have looked at, the other boars have gone for his mouth and cut near it. Nellie is still walking around, eating and drinking. It's not bothering him at all.
I have also checked Winnie and Bumble over and they are fine. It doesn't look to serious and any blood there was has dried up.
Should I bathe his mouth, if so, what do I bathe it with?
Please don't make me feel worse about it. I just need some advice to get Nellie sorted out...

Thanks
Sophie

Oh Sophie, I certainly wouldn't make you feel worse (((hugs))) similar happened to me when the boys escaped from their pen, only into the shed area but it freaked me out.

I would bathe, cooled boiled water maybe? Just to make sure it is sterile. I'm sure someone with more knowlege will advise better. Good luck,

Louise
x

I think it could be his lip that was cut.
How long does it usually take to heal?
Should I hand feed him?

Lip bite wounds heal pretty quickly.Bathe it with warm salt water,maybe twice a day for 2 days,then leave it to heal.If pus or redness does appear,use some of GG Green Cream.,or GG Neem toothpaste (use this as an ointment)

Thankyou Mary!
Should I hand feed if he doesn't start eating soon?

aww*massive hugs* don't feel bad :-*
i aggree O0 salt water is good.if you boil some then dissolve a little salt in it then cover and let it cool, and then bathe it that would be great :) well i would handfeed if he doesn't eat soon, yes. is he drinking? how long has he not been eating if it's long i would. i know guineas can get poorly if they haven't eaten for quite a while.

Thanks everyone :)
He is slowly starting to eat now, so i'm guessing it doesn't hurt as much anymore? ?

Oh thats good :) yeah it can't be hurting as much well done. just keep an eye on it now, and i would probably bathe it again. O0 keep up the good work :)

Thanks again :)
He's still eating which is good.
His mouth is slightly open, but I suppose this is just where it's swollen?

Awwwwww poor Nellie :(

I'm sure hell be fine 0:) Ive noticed that my 3 week old boar has a scab in the corner of his mouth too :-\ I put him with 2 boars yest but i noticed it yest its already scabbed over but i dont no what caused it maybe the other sow in with his mum done it :-\

Hope nellies mouth heals well and let us no if hes still eating ok O0

Will do.
Yeah, if it's already scabbed over, then I think it could be old?

I put saltwater on Nells lip earlier and had a good look at it.
It's cut quite far back and its obviously swollen, so thats why he's keeping his mouth slightly open.
He's still eating, drinking and running about :smitten:
I'm going to have a good look at his teeth when his cuts have healed to make sure he didn't damage them. Which I don't think he could of, but I might as well look.

yeah may as well be safe then sorry poor him :-* :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back