HELP Barbering piggy

currynugget

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently adopted a one year old piggy (Dango) and I have a 5 year old piggy at home (Mango.)

Dango was very scared for the first few days and mostly just hiding, and in fact Mango was the one being the dominant at first (chattered her teeth at Dango) but then we noticed she started to open up and they shared food together, etc.
But today (she's been with us for a week at this point), Dango started pulling Mango's hair out on her bum. Mango started crying, sounds like she was asking for our help. We took Mango out of her cage and we noticed that Dango started crying (?) and almost looked like she was looking for Mango. But the moment we put Mango back into the cage, she started following her again, and barbering her. Now, we're giving Dango some time out, we took her outta the cage and put her into the carrier and Mango started eating her veggies (looks like she's relieved no one is bothering her.) Meanwhile, Dango is kinda looking around inside the carrier like "why am I here"

On a side note, we brought Dango to a vet yesterday and I think she was quite stressed because of it and I looked online and they say barbering could be because of stressed. Do you guys think is that why? Any help/suggestions? I really don't know how to leave them overnight today..

I’ve not encountered barbering but I think giving you reasons would be guess work. I’ll link to a guide below on barbering. Perhaps have a read through and see if you work it out.

The other thing is that you can’t separate during the night then put them together. They’ll either have to be together or apart. Hopefully someone will be along to give you a more comprehensive answer.

Barbering ( Eating Hair)

Hi all,

I recently adopted a one year old piggy (Dango) and I have a 5 year old piggy at home (Mango.)

Dango was very scared for the first few days and mostly just hiding, and in fact Mango was the one being the dominant at first (chattered her teeth at Dango) but then we noticed she started to open up and they shared food together, etc.
But today (she's been with us for a week at this point), Dango started pulling Mango's hair out on her bum. Mango started crying, sounds like she was asking for our help. We took Mango out of her cage and we noticed that Dango started crying (?) and almost looked like she was looking for Mango. But the moment we put Mango back into the cage, she started following her again, and barbering her. Now, we're giving Dango some time out, we took her outta the cage and put her into the carrier and Mango started eating her veggies (looks like she's relieved no one is bothering her.) Meanwhile, Dango is kinda looking around inside the carrier like "why am I here"

On a side note, we brought Dango to a vet yesterday and I think she was quite stressed because of it and I looked online and they say barbering could be because of stressed. Do you guys think is that why? Any help/suggestions? I really don't know how to leave them overnight today..

Hi

It could be dominance barbering but also a sign of potential skin parasites. The barbered piggy usually complains but will not move away if they are the under-piggy. It is not painful.

Here is more information on the different aspects of barbering: Barbering ( Eating Hair)

Hi

It could be dominance barbering but also a sign of potential skin parasites. The barbered piggy usually complains but will not move away if they are the under-piggy. It is not painful.

Here is more information on the different aspects of barbering: Barbering ( Eating Hair)
Hi, I don't think it's painful for the barbered piggy but she's definitely scared of the barbering piggy now. I put Mango inside the pigloo just to make some space for her but then Dango comes inside the pigloo (even though she doesn't really do anything to Mango but Mango still cries because she's scared)

It sounds like they are still sorting through some dominance issues - loud squealing might sound dramatic, but is often a sign of submission and nothing to worry about.

As they have only been together a very short time I would not separate them.
Instead I would only have hides that have 2 entrances, and put large piles of hay all around the cage to distract them a bit.
Allowing hides which mean 1 piggy can be 'trapped' or cornered is not a good idea at this early stage in their relationship.

You should also read through the bonding guides here:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

It sounds like they are still sorting through some dominance issues - loud squealing might sound dramatic, but is often a sign of submission and nothing to worry about.

As they have only been together a very short time I would not separate them.
Instead I would only have hides that have 2 entrances, and put large piles of hay all around the cage to distract them a bit.
Allowing hides which mean 1 piggy can be 'trapped' or cornered is not a good idea at this early stage in their relationship.

You should also read through the bonding guides here:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Mango makes that "desperate" sound and kind of was asking for help. I might try your ideas and take the pigloo out of the cage since it only has one entrance.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Mango makes that "desperate" sound and kind of was asking for help. I might try your ideas and take the pigloo out of the cage since it only has one entrance.

Submission squealing is very dramatic and trips up most new owners.
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

You may find our New Owners guide collection helpful: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/getting-started-
essential-information-for-new-owners.196874/

For access to all the helpful links in this thread and our extended information resource (a link you may want to bookmark): Comprehensive Owners' Practical and Supportive Information Collection

Back