• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Help! Advice needed!

• Thread starter Thread starter frw3
  • Start date Start date

My two boy guinea pigs are fighting-yesterday one of them scratched a deep cut above the others eye-

• Separate them completely and so they live in separate hutches?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy them both a female friend?

• Try to see if they sort their differences out?

• Seperate the hutch and run in half, so they can still see each other?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frw3

[size=14pt]If anyone has any advice,i would really appreciate it! Please feel free to email me on [email protected]
I am starting to worry that the next time they fight it might be a lot worse :(
They are living apart at the moment until the injured ones eye heals. :-\

Thank you lots and lots for reading and taking an interest.
88)
[/size]

people will not agree
to put the agressive one down, he is probably a gentle guinea pig, males are just prone to fighting.
how long have they been together, how old are they?

If they will not get on, the best option is probably to put a divider down the hutch so they can still see each other - most boars can live happily this way. You can't get them female friends unless they are neutered - are they?

I hope "put the aggressive one down" was not a serious option?!

PLEASE NEVER,EVER SUGGEST ON THIS FORUM THAT A HEALTHY PIG BE PUT DOWN.

If you have enough space the option of getting a female companion for each pig is fine,or the option of putting the boys in seperate cages/pens with wire dividers is the option I use in these circumstances.

I have put a wire mesh between the run so they are still able to see each other etc.. I am just worried that this is cruel and they are going to become lonely. Plus, this is fine for now but when winter comes and i bring them in, the run doesnt fit in the shed....

They are not brothers which is a good reason as to why they fight- i bought them as one was the last guinea pig in one shop and i felt sorry for him (i am rather soft!) They are approximately 4 months old.
Thank you all for your advice.

It isn't cruel, some boars do prefer to be on their own, having a divider down the middle so they can still see and smell each other is a good alternative. This is how my two boars live. When Winter comes you could put them in seperate cages and have them next to each other - they can still see/smell each other from cages.

Them not being brothers isn't normally a reason why they would fight - a lot of boar pairing are pigs that aren't siblings. It's probably just their hormones and they are challenging each other for dominance.

Thank you emilyj, thats great advice! :)
Will their hormones die down so that i might be able to slowly reintroduce them back into the same compartments? Or should i just leave them separated for good now? :(
They didnt fight this bad for the first month and a half, and it is always Oink that attacks Pig (random names!) Pig never fights back so i dont understand why Oink just doesnt leave him alone, hes obviously established his authority!

I would get them castrated and get them each a female friend if you have a guinea competent vet. The other option would be to take one male into a rescue and rehome one of their sows, though finding room for boars can be difficult ::)

I wouldn't put them back together...

Excellent advice! I have the most dominant pig booked in for a castration :o (the vet recommended this) ...he said then try them together...if the non-castrated piggy starts attacking the other then castrate him too and see if this works. I feel like a bad mum and worried now (again) as vet said that some piggies dont make it through the anaesthetic :'(
Can anyone offer reassurance by telling me their piggy castration stories? Good ones!

Castration rarely changes a guineas temprement like it does with cats and dogs so I dont think that was good advice by your vet :-\
If you have the room, get both neutered and get them a sow each but living in separate hutches...so one boar to one sow. I really dont think you should put them back together. Also, not sure if you knew this, but if you ring the RSPCA, I think they give a £15 voucher towards cost of neutering..it is worth asking.

I didn't see anything to suggest putting one of them down on this thread? And no, it should NEVER be an option!

I dont think once boars have drawn blood they can be reintroduced, and trying to do this is just unneeded stress! :)

I think you should get them both neutered and girlfriends! O0

maryh said:
PLEASE NEVER,EVER SUGGEST ON THIS FORUM THAT A HEALTHY PIG BE PUT DOWN.

I am sure you mis interpreted that maryh.

FRW3: Also, if you do go down the 2 girlfriends route, perhaps think about getting them from a rescue instead of buying? There are so many piggies in rescues that need a loving home :)

Yeah I agree with LJ! If you neuter your boys and take them to a rescue, they can have a sniff around the girls and choose their girlfriends :smitten:

And I didnt see anything about putting a piggy down, but I assume it was edited ? :-\

yes it has been edited, it was the last option on the poll at the beginning of the thread.

definatly don't put them back together,neutering won't change anything, best to get each a female after being neutered.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice!
Ive had a nightmare since the last post....had one piggy castrated and he has been back and forth to the vets to have extra pain killers and antibiotics because the wound has become infected, so I'm incredibly worried about getting the other one castrated now :-\
Love the idea about getting my pigs girlfriends from a rehoming centre - think they both will love that idea too!

They are still being housed seperately but can still see and sniff each other...no aggression as yet but i know it takes at least 4 weeks for testosterone levels to lower...

:police:PS: Please stop bringing up the topic of putting down a guinea pig...it was totally taken out of context! Thank you :-*

It was totally blown out of proportion that whole putting the piggy down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back