Help-2 New Boars Approx 9wks Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellyM

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi,
I've just bought two boars today. They are set up in a 1.2m ferplast cage with 2 houses, 2 veg bowls, 2 water bottles and toys. One of them has just been chasing the other all round the cage, mounting him and not leaving him alone. That happened for approx. 10mins. They have now settled in their own house and seem to be asleep. Is this normal. They were together when I bought them

It is normal - they have moved to a new environment and so have to sort out the hierarchy again.
Thank you. All new to this, it's definitely going to be a big learning curve. I can see their characters coming through already

They're mainly my daughters, obvs with my supervision but she's decided to call them Ant & Dec. If they are fighting for hierarchy do I just leave them or will they need separating?

Leave them to it unless they start fighting and draw blood. You can distract them with a big pile of hay.

Am sure there is a link to some info on here about dominant but I'm on my phone which makes it hard to find.

Hopefully someone will come along soon and post the links, if not I shall find the links when on computer tomorrow.

Welcome on board Kelly! :)
And many congratulations on your new arrivals. Feel free to ask any questions you like. After they have settled in a bit, we'd lurve to see some pigtures of your duo :D

hi,
I've just bought two boars today. They are set up in a 1.2m ferplast cage with 2 houses, 2 veg bowls, 2 water bottles and toys. One of them has just been chasing the other all round the cage, mounting him and not leaving him alone. That happened for approx. 10mins. They have now settled in their own house and seem to be asleep. Is this normal. They were together when I bought them

Hi and welcome!

All guinea pigs need to establish and re-establish any hierarchy in new territory. What you are seeing is classic dominance behaviour and very much par for the course.
You may find our starter kit of information threads helpful; it contains behaviour guides next to other topics that new owners ask most frequently for advice. " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back