Hello

Sivlei

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, My boars and named Juju and Goliath. I am aware of the meaning of Juju but he is good Juju. Plus, it suits him. Anyway, I was wondering if it’s normal for the room with the boar’s cage to smell a bit “farm-animaly”—per my mother

Welcome to the forum

Would love to see photos of your boys. If it’s a bit smelly for one or two reasons

How big is your cage?
How often do you clean them out?
what sort of bedding do you use?

This may help to give you some ideas on how to help reduce any smells

It’s a 63 by 23 inch cage and I use fleece bedding. It’s probably nothing but I just wanted to check.

:wel:

I have seen you have made another post about the cage cleaning and I have commented on that

Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to the forum!

Boars can whiff a bit more than sows but the main issue we get is in warmer weather the pee breaks down faster and the ammonia smell can be a bit eye watering. I don't personally mind the 'furry' smell, I'm quite fond of it. The smell of a poorly pig (and there have been a few over the years) makes my heart sad, so normal smelly boars are my favourite smelly boars. What's not to like! 😂

When I was a teenager my mum would constantly tell me to wash my hair "because you smell like a horse".
I think mums get to a certain age and their nose just goes wrong!

Back