• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

hello.newbie needing advice

• Thread starter Thread starter mimsy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mimsy

hi all.i have just bought 2 guinea pigs for my children.i have had every animal under the sun apart from guinea pigs.i was just wondering if there is anything i should be doing in regards to worming/injections or anything.i cant seem to find that advice anywhere!
i will probably harass you with loads of questions constantly!
I'm not sure what breed they are either and would love to find out!

welcome to the forum and piggie keeping! i'm sure you'll love them they're such adorable creatures! :smitten:
we don't mind questions! ask away O0 here's an article regarding worming http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/Instructions/Worming.pdf some chose to, some don't i personally haven't and i've had 3 boars in the past, all of which were fine, but that could just be luck. i'm looking into this myself, for my current piggies ;)

Welcome to the forum, ask as many questions as you like ;D

I have just started using the herbal wormer in the link cavy love posted, before that I wormed my older boys once but try to avoid chemical based stuff as much as possible. To reduce risk, always wash veggies throughly but they can still need worming :)

If you post a picture of your piggies in breeds, GPQ can almost definately tell you plus we love pics :D

thanks for the replies.i have put some pics in general chat for you.i cant belive i didnt get some ninny pigs before,they are great little things!1

At the base of a boar's back (just about where the tail would poke out) is a gland that secretes grease - not oozing out or anything like that. They use this to scent mark and I also think I read somewhere that it helps with the condition of their coat. Sometimes it is really obvious to see - usually on lighter haired piggies. Sometimes it may need cleaning off, if it gets really mucky and sticky - a drop of something like Swafega rubbed in really well and then thoroughly rinsed does the trick.

welcome to the forum, i also have 3 sows ;D i personally dont worm either i think its something for the owner to decide, ther is no right or wrong :)

I've 4 Boars and the grease gland has never caused any problems. ;D Although they do scent a lot but then somedays they don't scent at all! 98)

First thing you should do is familiarise yourself with the genitals, and make sure they are indeed girls :)

PerfectPiggies said:
First thing you should do is familiarise yourself with the genitals, and make sure they are indeed girls :)

Good point PP, if you got them from a petshop, unfortunately they often mis sex GP`s resulting in an unexpected litter ::)

Have a look at a site called guinealynx, there are some good photos on there of their "bits" soo you can tell the difference :)

i have had a look and am 99% sure they are girls.the breeders double checked too!!

Girls have a "Y" shape,boards do not.Boars also have testicles which should be obvious.

maryh said:
Girls have a "Y" shape,boards do not.Boars also have testicles which should be obvious.

Some boars do have internal testicles - they've got the equipment there but are shy & keep it well hidden! A friend of mine had a very unexpected litter through this! Although this is fairly rare.

ive just had a cuddle with them and notice that mimsy is quite bony compared to the other one.mimsy is 9 weeks and daisy is 7 weeks and they both look the same size.could that be that maybe mimsy didnt get as much food as all the others?or could it be something else?
should i weigh them

It may just be that Mimsy didn't get as much food as the others. As long as Daisy isn't blocking the food from Mimsy then it should be fine, she should put weight on in time. Give them tons of hay, they sit still and eat it = loads of calories ;D

oh thats ok then :)mimsy seems like shes never been fed.she actually sits in the food bowl and stuffs for ages ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back