• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Heavy breathing

• Thread starter Thread starter hils78
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hils78

Margalo is sitting away from the other girls breathing quite heavily & is slightly puffed up- she isn;t under her hide out she's in the open bit of her cage. She has quite happily taken a bit of Broccoli though. I don;t really want to take her to the vet because they have proven to be quite incompetent. Any ideas while this symptom is fresh.... of course I'm thinking worse case sinario!

I dont really know but I'm sure one of the experts will be able to tell you.....

Dont worry...sending love to you both x

Tonni was like that the other day, he had a bit of a cold and I gave him some calpol for 2 days. He's fine now.

Have you change anything? Bedding?

Humm I've changed bedding, the hay because my last bale (pratically unused) I think gave them mites which are now under control thank goodness. I picked her up & have given her a cuddle & she seems a bit better. I'm not doing very well with hay at the moment. I hope it is that - thanks for the suggestion. i'm going to give them a good couple of hours of floor time on towels away from the new hay & see if her breathing settles down.

It might be nothing but it's a bit worrying to see a guinea pig like this. Obviously I am not veterinary trained, but if she were my guinea pig and based on past experience, I'd be taking her to be checked over. I appreciate you vet will probably be closed now anyway,but if her breathing does deteriorate (and hopefully it won't) if she were mine I'd have her at the emergency vet for poss antibiotics. I am, mind you, the first to say that err on the side of caution with respiratory infections. Especially in older or very young piggies.

While some guineas can have a snuffly spell that passes and we sometimes never know why. Chest infections and pneumonia can begin insidiously and then suddenly knock them for six.

Let us know how things go, hope she is okay.
Just my take on this.
Barbara

fingers crossed alls ok a little bit of vick on the nose can soem times help them breath if shes a bit snuffly especially, but as Barbara says the vets is the best person to check her over hes got a stethescope we have'nt , but could be as simple as change of hay

She's fine now she's had the run of the living room!  8)It must have been the new hay - was only a wilko's one though to replace the bale.

Have been given a nice sample of hay so will try that now.  I'm cheesed off about the initial bale though - although i'm greatful that only 1 pig was showing signs of mites thank god! 

heavy breathing is one of the things that will def. scare me to death from this month on...

thank god it turn out to be alright in your case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back