heating sheds in winter

• Thread starter Thread starter maisydaisystar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maisydaisystar

Hi all, have been getting advice from Michellemuffin on keeping guinea pigs in a shed, Just wanted to get some input from all of you with this set up.

How did you insulate your sheds?

What temperature do you keep your sheds at through the winter months?

What type of heating do you use?

Are your heating bills high?

would like to have my piggies in a shed at some point.
trhanks guys
xPaulax

oohhh forgot to ask if any of you use infa red heat lamps, and what do you think of using these instead of panel heaters?

I'd be interested in the answers to this too.

I live up in the north of Scotland so it can get very chilly here! Chilly? More like Artic conditions sometimes! My pigs have been brought into the house on previous winters, but I would like them to get the benefit of a cosy shed for most of the year at least.

yer but guinea pigs poo and wee loads and the floor starts to rot

maisydaisystar said:
oohhh forgot to ask if any of you use infa red heat lamps, and what do you think of using these instead of panel heaters?

think infra red cost a fortune to run and my shed is lined with lino £19.99 from b and q perfect fit, and if using cc grid type runs mine is lined floor and half way upsides with corrulux waterproof cardboard type stuff, good luck Paula you will guarantee happy piggys

just got to convince my oh now michelle, not sure he'll agree to it.

I am going to line the sides and roof of the shed with themal foil to keep the heat in :) I have a electric convector heater that is controlled by thrmostat ;) it is set at 15c. Bills electiric we are on a meter and I do put more in during the winter anyway you can always blame the tumble dryer ;Dand the piggies are in thier Hutches :)

i always blame the tumble drier too,i never mention the heating being on in the shed etc ;D ;D

i had like a fan heater that blows cold air on the other day and the OH came in the doorway and asked what id got the heating on for as it was taking electric up,duh stupid idiot ::) he didnt realise it was blowing nice cold air

its a good excuse too to bring some pigs inside during winter ;) ;) ;D

hi i don't use any heating in my shed i found it easier and less costly to but snugglesafes which i put in the hutches when i shut them up for the night also i have hutch covers and blankets to be honest my biggest problem with my shed is keeping it cool in the summer

willowflower said:
hi i don't use any heating in my shed i found it easier and less costly to but snugglesafes which i put in the hutches when i shut them up for the night also i have hutch covers and blankets to be honest my biggest problem with my shed is keeping it cool in the summer
The heating is also for me as I sit in there cuddling them for hours :) I would be a block of ice sat out there in the freezing cold. Its not a good idea to bring them from a chilly shed into a warm house for cuddles. Piggies cannot cope with it very well :)

I put some indoor cages in the kitchen etc during winter for the younger/older pigs

willowflower said:

can you not leave the doors open and make a panel of wire to cover the open doors same for windows. I use a portable air con got 2 one is my eldest sons but he says the pigs need it more then him they are expensive but are ideal if its just warmish/hot i use tall oscelating fans ,

its a good excuse too to bring some pigs inside during winter ;) ;) ;D
[/quote]

I would definatly do this if i had the room, I haven't got anywhere to put them indoors

mine take up a corner of the kitchen,maybe this year ill put them here in the spare room where the comp is,then ive got company O0

Pumpkinpiggie said:
willowflower said:
The heating is also for me as I sit in there cuddling them for hours :) I would be a block of ice sat out there in the freezing cold. Its not a good idea to bring them from a chilly shed into a warm house for cuddles. Piggies cannot cope with it very well :)

Yes i would want it for me also, it gets too cold to be in there too long

i just close the doors in winter and take out a blanket and jacket to keep me warm
i use the fans quite a bit in the summer and frozen bottles etc it's just my piggies are long haired so struggle abit in summer there always in the run thats attatched so never had a problem with the heat so far but sometimes when you go in it's like wow it's so hot just gave them a hair cut

Blanket My coat is duck feather and down like a quilt so is very warm. I still need heat though I lock the door behind me while in there. I had a blood transfusion 7 years ago ever since then I have had a huge problem with the cold. I also take a hot water bottle with me for my feet ;D I put walking socks on my feet too that are pure wool ;)

maisydaisystar said:
My guineas used to live loose in a big shed and they had an infra red lamp on at night. They used to love this. I'd open the door and they'd be lying in a circle underneath it. We didn't notice that they were expensive but they don't last that long. The problem is when they run out, it could be in the middle of a freezing cold night - so it's best to have 2 on. Sometimes it was so cold that I used to leave it on during the day also.

I brought my guineas in though for this winter and the change in them was amazing. Much more active, seemed happier, healthier. I'm not putting them out again in the winter but I appreciate not everyone can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back