Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelica

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's summer in Aus and I'm worried about my boys. Right now it's about 32 degrees (Celsius) and tomorrow it's climbing up to 36. I give my boys their veggies straight from the fridge so that's cold, plus watery veggies like cucumber etc. I also have frozen a water bottle and a gel ice pack wrapped in fleece so they can lean against them. There's an overhead fan in the room they're in (it's not directly over them, don't worry) but it doesn't really do much to make the air cooler. I'm thinking of letting them have a bit of floor time in the bathroom because the tiles are cool?
Is there anything else I can do?

And I also wanted to ask. Is having a gel ice pack in their cage okay? It's wrapped in fleece but I'm worried they might manage to get to it and chew it? I was home all day today so I was always checking but when I'm not home, should I take it out?

Hi there,
I know it might seem like a good idea to give them food direct from the fridge but it's actually not a great idea as it can give them a chill....weird I know even in hot weather.
I tried the cold gel thing as well, and the blighters still managed to move the fleece cover and chewed on it on lesson learnt!
Keep to icepods or frozen water bottles covered.
Having some spare ceramic tiles in their cage/hutch/housing is a good idea, they will find the cool spot.
Fans are good, but obviously not directly facing them.
I keep a thermometer attached to the hutch as visual check as well.
Hope that helps....wish we were having warm weather...we've got snow blizzards! Ek..

i have found to avoid chills, only have some of the veg straight from the fridge, and only in small doses.
and yes ceramic tiles and ice bottles are good.
gotta get this stuff right still a month and a half before its even supposed to stop getting hotter.

Hi there,
I know it might seem like a good idea to give them food direct from the fridge but it's actually not a great idea as it can give them a chill....weird I know even in hot weather.
I tried the cold gel thing as well, and the blighters still managed to move the fleece cover and chewed on it on lesson learnt!
Keep to icepods or frozen water bottles covered.
Having some spare ceramic tiles in their cage/hutch/housing is a good idea, they will find the cool spot.
Fans are good, but obviously not directly facing them.
I keep a thermometer attached to the hutch as visual check as well.
Hope that helps....wish we were having warm weather...we've got snow blizzards! Ek..

Thank you! Oh, I had no idea. I'll leave their veggies out of the fridge a bit before I give it to them then. How naughty, I won't use the gel ice packs then, especially with my curious critters! The ceramic tile sounds like a really good idea, can't believe I didn't think of it. This helped a lot! Haha, I wish it snowed during winter here!

i have found to avoid chills, only have some of the veg straight from the fridge, and only in small doses.
and yes ceramic tiles and ice bottles are good.
gotta get this stuff right still a month and a half before its even supposed to stop getting hotter.

Thank you! The heat is crazy! Though not surprised considering it's Aus haha, but it's making me paranoid for my boys!

Thank you! The heat is crazy! Though not surprised considering it's Aus haha, but it's making me paranoid for my boys!

it makes me very paranoid too. especially because i dont have any airconditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back