Heat pads for outdoor cages

Susye

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy.

would I be able to use small hot water bottles if I don't use boiling hot water?
If so what would you wrap round the bottle or is the fleece that comes with it ok?

Please don’t use a hot water bottle, it’s not safe. Plus a hot water bottle will cool down outside far too quickly to be of any use.

You need to use the proper Snugglesafe microwaveable heatpads. You can get them from Amazon or most large chain pet shops. Smaller independent shops may sell them also but you’d need to look around.

They say the snugglesafes stay warm for 10 hours but I’ve not found that to be the case in midwinter. In my shed I can keep them warm for around 8 hours but as your piggies are fully outside I would estimate it to be about 6-8 hours in the depths of winter. You need to time reheating them appropriately to get maximum benefit. They will need them during the day as well as night.

Please don’t use a hot water bottle, it’s not safe. Plus a hot water bottle will cool down outside far too quickly to be of any use.

You need to use the proper Snugglesafe microwaveable heatpads. You can get them from Amazon or most large chain pet shops. Smaller independent shops may sell them also but you’d need to look around.

They say the snugglesafes stay warm for 10 hours but I’ve not found that to be the case in midwinter. In my shed I can keep them warm for around 8 hours but as your piggies are fully outside I would estimate it to be about 6-8 hours in the depths of winter. You need to time reheating them appropriately to get maximum benefit. They will need them during the day as well as night.
Thanks for quick reply, will go and check Amazon out.
Will be paying Pets at Home a visit this weekend as need to get dog chews for the dog we dog sit so going to have a look and see what items they have for guinea pigs

Thanks for quick reply, will go and check Amazon out.
Will be paying Pets at Home a visit this weekend as need to get dog chews for the dog we dog sit so going to have a look and see what items they have for guinea pigs

Make sure to do your research on items and not be fooled into thinking everything sold for piggies is safe or appropriate. A lot of things are either a waste of money because piggies won’t use them or unsafe ie certain toys or chews can pose a hazard.

Make sure to do your research on items and not be fooled into thinking everything sold for piggies is safe or appropriate. A lot of things are either a waste of money because piggies won’t use them or unsafe ie certain toys or chews can pose a hazard.
Thank you for the good advice, am researching on YouTube and have 3 good books, I am going to be a frugal owner, already started saving toilet rolls and small boxes to make into hay boxes, and have read that the wire hanging balls and wire hay baskets are a health hazzard and can harm piggies.
A lot has changed since we last had piggies as pets, or I just wasn't aware of certain things.

I am off to bed, catch you tomorrow, didn't want to just cut and run

Thank you for the good advice, am researching on YouTube and have 3 good books, I am going to be a frugal owner, already started saving toilet rolls and small boxes to make into hay boxes, and have read that the wire hanging balls and wire hay baskets are a health hazzard and can harm piggies.
A lot has changed since we last had piggies as pets, or I just wasn't aware of certain things.

I am off to bed, catch you tomorrow, didn't want to just cut and run
Have ordered a heat pad from Esty, they only had one left in shop so will be buying another one when more in stock

Last time I brought snugglesafes Zooplus.co.uk was the most cost effective, might be worth a look

Don’t know how much you paid from Etsy but Amazon and zooplus are the same price at the moment.
They are £17.99 on zooplus. Amazon doesn’t have them on prime (if you have prime) so delivery is charged on top which means they are also coming to £18

Don’t know how much you paid from Etsy but Amazon and zooplus are the same price at the moment.
They are £17.99 on zooplus. Amazon doesn’t have them on prime (if you have prime) so delivery is charged on top which means they are also coming to £18
Thank you, mine was £6.50 on Etsy

Thank you, mine was £6.50 on Etsy

Oh right, thought that sounded like a bargain so went and had a look on Etsy.
Are you sure you’ve got the right thing - the only thing I can see on Etsy for £6.50 is the replacement fleece cover, not the actual heatpad.
With the actual heatpad they are £30.
You may have seen something different to that which I’ve seen

Its always good to have multiple covers so that you’ve got spare for when the others are in the wash

Oh right, thought that sounded like a bargain so went and had a look on Etsy.
Are you sure you’ve got the right thing - the only thing I can see on Etsy for £6.50 is the replacement fleece cover, not the actual heatpad.

Its always good to have multiple covers so that you’ve got spare for when the others are in the wash
I thought it was the whole thing, I am very new to buying items on line, thought it was the heatpad and the cover and you chose what cover you wanted, oh well looks like I have done it wrong again, story of my life. But on the plus side I will already have a spare cover if it fits the heatpad I buy. I have opened accounts on Etsy and Ebay, yet to open one on Amazon. Hubby has accounts for ebay and Amazon but trying to do this by myself as have messed up his account when trying to buy items, and have been banned from buying on my own from those sites so only using paypal to buy items so I don't mess up as I want to order what I ant and when I want , trying to be a big girl even though I am not good at tech stuff

I thought it was the whole thing, I am very new to buying items on line, thought it was the heatpad and the cover and you chose what cover you wanted, oh well looks like I have done it wrong again, story of my life. But on the plus side I will already have a spare cover if it fits the heatpad I buy. I have opened accounts on Etsy and Ebay, yet to open one on Amazon. Hubby has accounts for ebay and Amazon but trying to do this by myself as have messed up his account when trying to buy items, and have been banned from buying on my own from those sites so only using paypal to buy items so I don't mess up as I want to order what I ant and when I want , trying to be a big girl even though I am not good at tech stuff

No it’s not usually both. The actual heatpads are expensive.
It will fit the heatpad. The only ones are Snugglesafe and people make the replacement covers for them to sell.

Go onto Zooplus and buy the actual heatpad from there. It will come with one cover but as I say, you will need more covers anyway.

@Susye hi, I have two snugglesafe heat pads (without covers) that I’m trying to get rid of as I no longer have pigs.

Sorry, for my quick message earlier. If you decide to go ahead and order snugglesafes online, make sure you order as many as you need, so you only need to pay delivery once. We have inside piggies, but live in an old house. I have 2 heat pads at the moment, but for outside piggies you will probably need more heat pads, as they have to be cold before reheating.

Good luck 🤞🏽

Technology and online buying certainly takes some getting used too.

:agr:
When I had just two piggies, I had four heatpads. In the depths of winter, they had all four at once in various places around the hutch.

Back