Heat pad -when to put it out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I bought my piggies a heat pad as they are outside at the moment.

Just wondered what time I should put it in their bedroom? I've been doing it at about 10-11pm so that the heat lasts through to the morning, but the problem is I am waking them up when I do it, and they don't seem too happy about it ::)

What do other people do?

Their routine is roughly like this:

8am breakfast of guinea pig food, uncover hutch (assuming dry weather) and top up hay and water if necessary
4-5pm feed them with vegetables/fruit and cover hutch
10pm put in heat pad

Maybe you could just leave a treat veggie till the heat pad goes in, I go down and see mine at about 10 or 11 at night and often take them a little treat of some kind and they have got used to it so dont mind being disturbed after all food is pretty much all they think about ;D

Mine are in the garage and piggy shed and i put their heat pads in at 8 as that is what time i cover them up or as i call it bed time lol :smitten:

Mine's in a shed with loads of hay and shredded paper but should I be thinking of a heatpad too? How do you heat them? Where can I get one? Considering VetBed as think that may be warm - not sure what to do.

snugglesafe make a heat pad and pretty sure P @ H do them.

lavenderjade said:
snugglesafe make a heat pad and pretty sure P @ H do them.

that's where I got mine I think they are about £18 :)

I went to my local pet shop to buy heatpad and she asked if it was for sick animals. I explained my piggies are outside etc and she told me I was ridiculous! She said I would be teaching them not to be hardy and should "pack the bedding area with straw." I explained I don't use straw for their eyes only hay and she told me I was mad! She insisted Straw was waterproof and better for them. When I told her they were on vetbed she thought I was loopy as "the moisture will mix with the air!" So now I feel really unsure of myself....Should I buy heatpad? My boys are outside with a hutch cover.....no access to shed or garage I'm afraid! Lesley...ps it's very mild in London still!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back