Healthy weight

thefourguineas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, i am a new guinea owner (of 4) and i was wondering what a healthy weight is for a 1 year old female? right now one of my girls named Hope is 1.16k and i’m not sure if that’s too heavy. if so, what are some thing i could do to try and get her back to a healthy weight?

Attachments

• IMG_5926.webp
    IMG_5926.webp
    73 KB · Views: 1
Hi, when we talk about weight, we rather talk about the heft of the guinea pig rather than what it says on the scales. You should be able to just about feel the ribs. If you can’t, the guinea pig is too heavy, it you can feel them prominently, the guinea pig is too skinny

You may find the following link helpful in determining if your piggy is too heavy or not

Weight Monitoring and Management

:agr:

There is no correct weight for age. It is a very individual thing as there is a huge range of healthy weights for adult piggies.
What is important, as Claire has explained, is your piggy’s heft. The number on the scales just tells you that your piggy is eating enough but it doesn’t tell you that she is a good size for herself - checking her heft as per the guide will help you here

Back