Hayracks?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kiki42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiki42

I am just wondering if you should have a hayrack in the cage for your piggie. If you have one, what are the benefits and drawbacks? Are they messy? Or do they just take up space and have no use whatsoever? I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question! ;)

mine have a hay rack, not sure if mine really like it though, they seem to prefer eating it off the floor, but it does stop them peeing and pooing on it,so it stays nice and fresh, it annoys me as when you open the hutch door to refill as i always get hay all over the floor, so have started opening the other door up and reaching over to refill.doesn't take up too much room.

Hayracks keep the hay fresher ie... off the floor where piggy pees :) You can get various styles etc, some are cubes, others balls etc so they can be fun for the pigs too.

You can make them yourself from cd racks, c&c cubes, etc etc if you don't have a lot to spend on it :)

I have finally conceded and bought one last night. It's not what I had hoped to find but I am spending a fortune on timothy hay and my little darling like to lie and poo on it. Unless they are gymnasts this ain't gonna happen anymore so I certainly think it's worth it!

6 of our cages have hay racks that clip on to the cage, about £3 each...I love them and I think my piggies do too...

They keep the hay off the floor so it doesnt get trampled on.
Dont take up a lot of space as they just clip over the a bar
You can choose the height
Saves a LOT of mess
Saves wasting hay
Easy to fill up
Highly recommend from me! O0

Thanks guys! A hayrack sounds like a great idea to me! Especially if its going to keep the floor cleaner as well as the hay ;D

I have hayracks that were brought seprately for the hutches. I want to put them inside as when they are hooked on the mesh front I find they do block the light out. I would never recomend using any type of hayrack for a baby piggy though on another forum a lady walked into her shed just in time (shudder) baby was fine but only because it was found when it was.
My lot always eat hay off the floor but there always some in a rack for them ::)

I have a willow basket as opposed to a rack and tie it to the cage with twine ;)

i use hayracks for my lot and i like them, as do my piggies.

although as pumpkinpiggie mentioned i would never put one in with babies again, my sophie got stuck in ours and had to be freed, it was lucky i was in the room and saw her get in so that i could get her out quickly. luckily she was fine just a bit miffed that she couldnt get herself out!

ive tried two diff types of hay rack, i didnt like either for my boys as they are in an indoor cage and the hay goes everywhere, the girls have a wire one which is screwed on to wood in their cage and thats fine there, for my boys i have a veggie twister.veggie ball its like a small metal ball which you can fill with veggies, but its work much better as a hay ball and holds quite a lot :)

I use Hayballs, they are metal balls that hang on a chain with a clip on the top. They are great as they make the piggie work for the hay and keep it clean and off the floor.

I put my guinea pigs hay in a bowl, every time I have used a hayrack my guineas and rabbits have always had to visit the vets as they have poked there eye on the hay or what not. Haven't used one for a couple of years now. However, this is just my experience. :)

My hayracks are like...ummm have got square gridding so the piggie have to pull it out to eat it so i dont *think* they could hurt themselves..especially if you pack the hay in tight :)

I have considered trying them again but I'm not having any problems with using bowls, so I think I will stick with them. The ones you use sound good though. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back