Haybox Help.

Jenni85

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
Afternoon, I'm after a bit of advice regarding a Haybox Sub.

They've got different types of hay, my question is what's best for the divas?
Blend, coarse, soft or meadow?

TIA.

It depends on what they will eat. I can't remember do Haybox do a sample packet? Mine have always preferred the soft timothy. It's very rich though and my vet has advised not to feed it as the main hay as some were getting a little fat! We are now mixing it with another brand meadow hay. Personally I wouldn't feed the coarse as it can cause eye injuries and needs to be fed in a rack. I like to feed in big piles on the cage floor or in boxes.

It depends on what they will eat. I can't remember do Haybox do a sample packet? Mine have always preferred the soft timothy. It's very rich though and my vet has advised not to feed it as the main hay as some were getting a little fat! We are now mixing it with another brand meadow hay. Personally I wouldn't feed the coarse as it can cause eye injuries and needs to be fed in a rack. I like to feed in big piles on the cage floor or in boxes.
I use Burgess Excel Timothy with Dandelion and Marigold at the moment and they love it but just looking for something I can buy in bulk because they only come in 1kg bags.

I've just had another look and they do do a sample box with a handful of each hay in so I will order one of them and try them on each.

I also just feed on the cage floor, they like nothing better than a huge pile of hay with their veggies scattered into it 😁

I used to get both meadow and Timothy from haybox. I then found a local farm who sell bales of meadow hay and as I’ve got so many animals it’s cheaper. So now I only get the Timothy blend from haybox

Fab, I've ordered a sample box so will see which one they prefer. Although now they've settled in they're great little eaters and not fussy at all. They're even rating red pepper, cucumber and coriander now after me stressing myself out so much over it 😂

Mine get the soft cut Timothy and the Timothy blend. I couldn’t really say which one they prefer. By the time it has been ruffled, trampled, fluffed and shifted around the cage I can barely tell the difference 😂

Mine get the soft cut Timothy and the Timothy blend. I couldn’t really say which one they prefer. By the time it has been ruffled, trampled, fluffed and shifted around the cage I can barely tell the difference 😂
Hahaha I know what you mean, cage looks lovely, clean and replenished of a morning then 5 minutes later it's everywhere 😂

TIA.
Timothy hay,I think,is the best as it’s courser so better for their teeth.

My two boys sleep on hay box meadow hay and eat the soft Timothy hay and also the Timothy blend. They do not like the coarse Timothy hay. It’s sooooooo stalky.

My two boys sleep on hay box meadow hay and eat the soft Timothy hay and also the Timothy blend. They do not like the coarse Timothy hay. It’s sooooooo stalky.
I'm not hearing very good reviews on the coarse. Before having the girls I didn't even know their was different types of hay 😂

I'm not hearing very good reviews on the coarse. Before having the girls I didn't even know their was different types of hay 😂

My lot aren’t keen on the coarse when it’s on its own. This is why I buy the blend. They eat the coarse parts of it when it is mixed with the soft! They don’t seem to notice it as much!

My pair are the only guinea pigs I've ever known to demand coarse hay and refuse to eat the softer stuff 🤷‍♂️ it is very much a matter of taste, if they won't eat it, no point to me buying it.

TIA.
You can order a small selection of sample boxes. I basically opened all the box’s and let the pigs decide which one they liked the most haha!

Back