Hay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We got our last big bag from PAH and it was really dusty! Don't usually get it from there, but Tatty needed some biscuits (cat) and realised we were short on hay when we went round.

It also has a smell to it. Not a going off smell, but not too pleasant although the piggies like it.

Got some more bags from FOCUS instead today - I like the smell it has - it's a real fresh smelling one.

Where do you all get your hay from, and any preferences?

I get my hay from a local garden centre and now and then a bag of Oxbow timothy hay from Thistle Cavies. Last bag of hay I got from PAH was damp and full of mould - I actually had to get the assistant manager to stick her hand in it before I got my money back because "it smelled alright". It stank of mould!

I get mine from a local petshop. They sell big bags of lovely fluffy fresh hay, it always smells really nice. Better than air freshener! Costs about £2.25 a bag. Did have a musty smelling one a while ago but I took it back and they replaced it, no problem, but then I should hope so as I spend a lot in there!

I'm not keen on a lot of the vacuum packed stuff, the pieces are tiny and they can't bed in it. I have bought a bag of Timothy hay though just for feeding - that was £4.25 for a small bag so they aren't using that for bedding!

Kelly i have the same problem here, i buy it pre bagged and there's times when it's just dusty and mouldy smelling, i used to sneak it away and not let OH know about it, now i tell him we can put it on the garden as compost. Problem solved ;D ;D

I buy from a local farm.

I get a full bale for £2.50. It's lovely and fresh, and so cheap that I can use it for bedding too

we get ours from a local farm for £2.50 too,nice and compact although it doesnt last long with having 40 piggies ;D ;D

they sell big sacks of carrots too for £2 :)

I get mine from P@H or hobdays, Hobdays is a brown stringy one, and pets at home is a greeny/brown short one.
biscuit likes the Hobdays one.

i get mine from a local pet shop, the majority of the time its lovely but have the odd "iffy" bag, if i had the space to store it i wud buy a bale from one of the farms much better value for money!

i get mine for a farm

well the the man who onws and works at the the farm where my dad has a big frige for his milk(hes a milkman) well this man who onws the farm buys he hay than my dad buys it off him

my fortnightly 10 bags of fresh meadow hay was delivered tonight by farmer Mick, cant beat it hes full of stories as well, and knows my piggys even getting excited when there is babys

kelly i would just buy hay were u feel is ok. my piggies like p@h, though i might start looking abit more outwards later on in the summer.
the only problem with mine is it has been damp once. :P

The very best hay I have ever bough (and believe me, I musy have bought a meadow) is frorm The Hay Experts.
Their Devon Meadow hay is superb and contains naturally occurring grasses and flowers. The smell is devine and it is always lovely quality. I appreciate it's cheaper for those with a lot of guineas to buy bales (I used to) but this is the best :)

Barbara

The Hay Experts

I have ordered a sample pack from The Hay Experts so i can see which ones the pigs like. 6 samples foe £3.99 postage free i thought that was a good idea.

Before FOCUS, used to get hay at tesco, but they are tiny bits all packed in. Thinking of getting bales from farms when it's warmer then we can keep it in the shed

Anyone got any land? I reckon the amount we get through (and I've only got 5), some of you have loads, would be cheaper to grow hay (what exactly is it anyway, just a mixture of various dry grasses?).

cavykind said:
The very best hay I have ever bough (and believe me, I musy have bought a meadow) is frorm The Hay Experts.
Their Devon Meadow hay is superb and contains naturally occurring grasses and flowers. The smell is devine and it is always lovely quality. I appreciate it's cheaper for those with a lot of guineas to buy bales (I used to) but this is the best :)

Barbara

The Hay Experts

They sell that devon meadow hay in the shop where I work, its usually lovely stuff and I often use it in an emergency. Just recently I have been getting my bales of hay from a big pet store not far from here as it has a good mix of grasses and smells gorgeous, only trouble is their supplier is on holiday and its been a pain to get hold of. I went to the farm supplies place a bit further away yesterday, managed to get some lovely bloke who works there to climb up the side of the huge mountain of hay and throw bales down until I found the lovely green ones I was happy with ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back