Hay

jac13

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Me again sorry I'm guessing my more dominant sow is in heat she's rumble strutting loads today, jumping and picking on other one but my main concern is she's not letting the other one near the hay pile at all last couple of hours and forcing her to stay in her hide

You could create a temporary second hay pile for your submissive sow. It is also important to make sure you have two water bottles as well, and remove any hides that only have one exit so that she can’t get cornered.

Behaviour like this from a sow in heat is not unusual but if it occurs regularly it may be due to a health issue, specifically ovarian cysts. I have a sow who behaved like this every few months when she was young, it turned out she had massive ovarian cysts causing her hormone issues.

Me again sorry I'm guessing my more dominant sow is in heat she's rumble strutting loads today, jumping and picking on other one but my main concern is she's not letting the other one near the hay pile at all last couple of hours and forcing her to stay in her hide

Has your under-sows hut two exits to prevent her from being locked in?

Please create a second and third hay pile by each exit. Your dominant sow cannot cover three place physically at once.

You should have multiple areas for hay in any event, also place hay inside their hides and particularly in the hide your sow is currently sat in. That way a sow in season won’t stand a chance of preventing her cage mate from accessing hay.

You could create a temporary second hay pile for your submissive sow. It is also important to make sure you have two water bottles as well, and remove any hides that only have one exit so that she can’t get cornered.

Behaviour like this from a sow in heat is not unusual but if it occurs regularly it may be due to a health issue, specifically ovarian cysts. I have a sow who behaved like this every few months when she was young, it turned out she had massive ovarian cysts causing her hormone issues.
Great thanks for replying yeah I have 2 of everything and my hides are open ended wooden arches this is very interesting to know about the ovarian cysts thank you so much what made you get her checked

Please create a second and third hay pile by each exit. Your dominant sow cannot cover three place physically at once.
Great thanks yeah thinking of doing this yeah my wooden arches have 2 exits

Great thanks

Great thanks for replying yeah I have 2 of everything and my hides are open ended wooden arches this is very interesting to know about the ovarian cysts thank you so much what made you get her checked

If I remember rightly your sows are just youngsters so cysts are highly unlikely to be a consideration (correct me on their age if I’m wrong).
They don’t tend to become an issue until sows are 2 years or older

You should have multiple areas for hay in any event, also place hay inside their hides and particularly in the hide your sow is currently sat in. That way a sow in season won’t stand a chance of preventing her cage mate from accessing hay.
Great thanks I've only just ever done 1 big pile thought always one big pile would be enough and yep your right my babies are only 6/7 months old you have a good memory

Great thanks I've only just ever done 1 big pile thought always one big pile would be enough and yep your right my babies are only 6/7 months old you have a good memory

Your girls are currently at the height of their teenage months when unusually strong seasons are not unusual at all. Sows the same teenage hormone high as boars, only that it is not that well known because it rarely causes problems or fall-outs.
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

The good news is that it should be hopefully over by tomorrow. Also make sure that water is nearby or that you put some cucumber slices out (one each at every tunnel exit and one each for your dominant sow to eat at the same time).

Your girls are currently at the height of their teenage months when unusually strong seasons are not unusual at all. Sows the same teenage hormone high as boars, only that it is not that well known because it rarely causes problems or fall-outs.
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

The good news is that it should be hopefully over by tomorrow. Also make sure that water is nearby or that you put some cucumber slices out (one each at every tunnel exit and one each for your dominant sow to eat at the same time).
Great thank you so much yeah hate the time they are in season stresses me out so many ch 🙈

Back